Loophole Networking? Airport? VPN?

Reaction score
Since I am good with PCs, my boss wants me to network several iMacs together for file/print sharing. They are all connected to the school network, the very same network that blocks intranetwork traffic.. The comps do get their own internet-IP's, but they are not static. By proximity, all 4 of the comps are close enough to communicate with a wireless network if one was put up, but a second wired network is not possible. 3 of the 4 iMacs already have wireless cards in them (airport cards you call them? :Smirk:). The iMacs can ping each other on the school network, among other things; ports do not seem to be blocked. The school is ambivalent to the issue. WEP or better is a must.

The ideal solution is a comp-to-comp wireless network (with our 10.4 box acting sorta like a wireless-router) if possible, since money is tight. A less desirable option is VPN, which I have never setup before.. Apple-talk I am unfamiliar with, and is an option if it somehow bypasses the school network's blockade. I gave a try at a comp-to-comp network and the wireless host (which was connected to the school network) was not able to see the other computer connected to it.. However the other computer was able to see and access the printer/files of the wireless host computer. Also, will more than one computer be able to connect to the wireless host? Help? Anyone?

:D I've never used macs until now.. Our OS 9 box gets no love from me, but the OS X ones are impressive.

-Chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.