external hard drive not showing up!!

Reaction score
i have a mac book duo core 2ghz 1 gig ram and 80 gig hd.

i have a 250 gig external that i've been using perfectly fine. but after i put in my digital camera the external has not been showing up. it has shown up on my father's pc. my mac is apparently not picking it up. it is formatted to apple. i partitioned using disc utility so i'm not sure what is going on. my usb drive's are working perfectly other equipment work fine.
PLEASE I NEED HELP!!! :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
When you open disc utility, does it show up in the list?

OP
X
Reaction score
no it does not.
i figured it might be the cable. but when i use the same cable on my pc the usb drive on my pc shows up.

Reaction score
I'm having this problem as well.

Strangely it occurred after last month's OS update.

I've just put the thing on ice for the time being in the hope that it'd sort itself out.

Nothing changed with the last OS update though I did notice they referred to USB support.

I also noticed that the RAID settings (?) were tuned to MS-Dos which may be the problem.

Any help would be appreciated as I had a huge collection of music videos on it which I had yet to backup.

In other good news, it caused me to buy a firewire lacie 1 terabyte external drive and my music is now doubley backed up and safe until I can find the time to put it on disk.

I'd be gutted if I lost my music!!

OP
X
Reaction score
dude man i have over 80 gigs of movies and like 2 gigs of pictures on here and cant back up any of it!!!! most of it is in there for a reason. reasons as i needed space on my internal. ahh seriously i dont know what to do T.t

OP
X
Reaction score
is there any way to reset everything on your mac to default settings? that doesnt require formatting?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 2.16Ghz, 2GB, 100GB HD, 15.4", 256 MB vram
I believe you can do an archive and install, that should sort out the problem. However, if it is an update related issue, you want to be sure NOT to update until at least 10.5 comes out, or after you are able to move your media.

I had a problem with my MBP not going to sleep and it turned out the issue was a buggy install of MS office. I didn't have to reformat, just archive and install a fresh version of OS X.

Basically you reboot the machine with the OS X disk that came with it, then follow the instructions. Just make sure you DO NOT choose format, you just want to archive the existing OS and install a fresh one with it. You'll have two OS's on the drive, eating up a little more space, but the new one should work like before. You'll be able to access all of the old files, but will have the functionality of the old OS as well.

I hope that works for you, if not, I'm stumped.

Cheers

OP
X
Reaction score
hmm ok. thank you that doesnt seem to be to difficult. hehe i'll let you know what happens.

OP
X
Reaction score
ok so using the archive restart worked. it took forever to install the mac osx again but it worrkkeed thank you

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.