Windows... where can I get it??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IPod Nano - 2GB
Stupid question;

I'm typing this message on a Dell desktop running Windows XP SP2, getting my MBP tomorrow. I've got my Windows CD, I think, plus the CD key. Can I use this CD for Bootcamp purposes or am I going to have to track down a copy of XP/Vista for $300 just to play a few old games???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.16 Ghz C2D, 2 Gigs RAM and Macbook 2 Ghz CD 1 Gig RAM
I'm sure it would work, but I believe it would be illegal to install it on more than one computer, or on a computer other than the one it was shipped with. I may be wrong though.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
No, you can't use it. Firstly because the Windows CD that came with your Dell is tied specifically to Dell hardware, and secondly because Microsoft's product activation allows for one copy of Windows to be installed on only one machine at a time.

You can purchase a non-branded OEM copy of Windows XP from just about anywhere for around $100.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IPod Nano - 2GB
Thought so, ****. Oh well, thanks anyway.

Edit, on that note, would I be better off getting a copy of Vista *shudder*???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
It depends on what you're going to do, but I would say you're better off just sticking with XP. It's more widely compatible with programs than Vista (right now) and Vista is still kinda buggy from what I hear. Since the Windows OS will just be more of necessary evil than your primary OS, just go with the cheap, reliable :)o) option.

If were a college student or something, you could probably get it for $5-10 as most colleges have deals with MS to buy software very cheap. In fact, a lot of times students can buy more than one version, for instance, when there's more than one available like XP and Vista.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Thought so, ****. Oh well, thanks anyway.

Edit, on that note, would I be better off getting a copy of Vista *shudder*???

I would stick with XP like was already said. Vista has problems with some software and driver issues. XP is stable and everything works with it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.