blank DVD-R not showing on desktop

Reaction score
Hi I hope someone can help me out. I'm on a 5 year old 15 inch G4imac, OS10.3.9 and I need to store a lot of data, files etc. I thought that using DVDs would be the answer due to their capacity. Unfortunately, when I insert a blank disc, it accelerates a little then nothing. No icon appears on the desktop.

When I open disk utility, it appears there. When I click on it, it shows total capacity 0Bytes and under Write Ability it states Read Only(DVD-R). Is this a hardware problem?

The discs are Kodak

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Are you sure your iMac had a DVD Burner? Not all did. It would be called a Superdrive usually if it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
Hi emte98.... Does the drive read normal DVD's?
To store lots of data away from the Mac I use an external drive. Hard drives are chep these days and easier to find stuff on one hard drive that many dvd's which are prone to scratches etc.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What model iMac is it? CPU Speed? Screen Size?

Click on the Apple in the Top Left. Then click on About This Mac, Then on More Info, then on ATA. It should show the info on the burner or optical drive in your iMac.

OP
E
Reaction score
I've been searching all over for answers to this. I checked and I do have a superdrive with the updated firmware but I came a cross a whole pile of other folk with similar issues and it my be to do with the DVD-R discs being 8x and the superdrive itself only managing 2x. It was suggested that newer faster DVDs are contain technology that the drive can't cope with.

So, unless I can find 2x discs then I think that's that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0 Ghz Core Duo 2GB RAM
Try right clicking on the desktop and click 'new burn folder'. Then drap and drop all the files u want to write to the disk. Then in the top right hand u should see a button saying burn. Click on it and the process should start.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.