Setting up a new Mac, admin and user accts?

Reaction score
I cant seem to locate the thread or link that I saw awhile back on the forum regarding setting up the first account as an Admin, then setting up a user account for daily use.

This will be my first Mac (should be arriving on Thursday) and I want to make sure I setup my user accounts correctly.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
What!?

I just set up an admin account and I use that. Regular accounts have restrictions that I don't want.

M

MacHeadCase

Once you get your Mac, you simply need to go to the System Preferences panel, click on Accounts.

Once in that pref pane, you will need to click on the lock icon at the bottom to enable changes.

Then you click on the + sign right above the lock icon and then you can add more user accounts. And you can modify your own user account via that same pref pane.

See attached files for visuals.

System_pref.jpg

adding.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
You can't downgrade an admin account to a user account from there (you must use NetInfoStatus IIRC), but you can upgrade a user account to an admin account from there. You can do either from root though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
What I did was create my first account as admin, then make a new account called admin and change my first account to a standard account, is this ok as well?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, but you have to do it from NetInfoManager, unless you know how to do it from the terminal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
Yes, but you have to do it from NetInfoManager, unless you know how to do it from the terminal.

But I done it from System Preferences, all you have to do is make another admin account first (i called this account admin) and then you can change your first account to a standard one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But I done it from System Preferences, all you have to do is make another admin account first (i called this account admin) and then you can change your first account to a standard one.

The few times that I have tried it it didn't work, maybe it's just me...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM
Honestly, I don't really think that all the fuss about user multiple user accounts is worth it. It seems to me that all this does it lock you out of parts of your own machine. If you're keeping with the practice of backing up your stuff, then really there's no problem just using the default user account. Since your stuff is backed up, you can easily reinstall the OS if anything goes seriously wrong, which is not too likely to begin with.

OP
techmonkey
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't really think that all the fuss about user multiple user accounts is worth it. It seems to me that all this does it lock you out of parts of your own machine. If you're keeping with the practice of backing up your stuff, then really there's no problem just using the default user account. Since your stuff is backed up, you can easily reinstall the OS if anything goes seriously wrong, which is not too likely to begin with.

Since I am new to Mac, what parts would it lock you out of on a daily basis? You should still be able to access everything, just not with your daily account.

Please explain :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

The point is to avoid having to reinstall your OS. I don't know about you, but I don't enjoy spending a half hour swapping disks, followed by another hour or two of downloading updates and resetting preferences. It's just something I'd rather not do.

Running as a non-admin user basically means you have to authenticate (enter the admin username and password) before you can

1. Install software
or
2. Change system settings (for example, network settings.)

Most days, you will never notice any difference.

OP
techmonkey
Reaction score
Most days, you will never notice any difference.

Thanks technologist, thats good to know. Id much rather be bugged for a admin user/pass then have a security issue. I wish WinXP had this feature (I think Vista has this now).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks technologist, thats good to know. Id much rather be bugged for a admin user/pass then have a security issue. I wish WinXP had this feature (I think Vista has this now).

To be honest, this is not really a security issue with a Mac unless you expect someone to steal your machine. Even WITH an Admin account you are often asked to enter you password to install Apps and make changes. Remember, Admin is NOT root.

Reaction score
To be honest, this is not really a security issue with a Mac unless you expect someone to steal your machine. Even WITH an Admin account you are often asked to enter you password to install Apps and make changes. Remember, Admin is NOT root.

Funny thing though, an admin account can passwd root. Yay for workarounds to set up sshd! Silly apple.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.