mac to pc via firewire?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4, 1.5ghz, 512mb ram, 80 Gig HD with Superdrive....
Saw somewhere but could not get in full info. Read that you can hook mac and pc up via firewire and can transfer files? Is this true? If so anywhere I can read how to do it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I don't know, I've not heard that before. I would think the biggest issue would be finding a PC with a FW connection. It doesn't seem to be standard in the PC world.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4, 1.5ghz, 512mb ram, 80 Gig HD with Superdrive....
Well there is a firewire addon bracket for my Asus MB so that problem is solved...Step 2.....Can it be done? step 3...How?

vxd

Reaction score
These days "Windows Desktops Computer" do come with Firewire connection

And oh yeah, i think it can be done. When you connect using firewire it will just access the hdd making it look like a external drive.
Might be wrong, probably am..haha

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,
why dont you try RJ45 connection.... works like charm.... also doesnt involve much cost

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.16 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 120 GB HD
While I can't remember if I used firewire to transfer my files to my MacBook from my thinkpad I have used it several times to transfer files between various PCs. In Windows just set up the TCP/IP settings for the connection as if you were using a crossover ethernet cable, and it should work fine.

The one caveat that I can think of is that if you're using Windows Vista then you are out of luck as MS threw out TCP/IP over firewire support.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2008 Mac Pro - 500 GB HD - 6 GB Ram
why dont you try RJ45 connection.... works like charm.... also doesnt involve much cost

Unless the PC has a gigabit Ethernet card, the OP is limited to a 100 mbit connection. I believe that Firewire runs at 400 mbit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.6Ghz | 200GB 7200 | 4GB Ram | 32GB iPod Touch 2G
Assuming you have the firewire part sorted at the PC end, when you first turn on the mac, hold down "T" and the mac will boot into firewire drive mode, so it will just show up as an external drive on the PC. To exit you press the power button again and it will boot normally into OSX.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.