Upgrade Mac Mini OS 10.3 to 10.4 problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Mac Mini
Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to setup my Airport Extreme network, which is okay. My issue is that when I try to upgrade my Mac Mini (512mg RAM) from 10.3 to 10.4 so that it's compatible with the Airport Extreme utilities, I receive an error that the upgrade could not be completed. When I try to use the Utility (as the help menu suggests)to repair the disk, I receive another error that the repairs could not be made. Anyone know any thing about this?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
So you have a G4 Mac Mini with Panther 10.3 and want to upgrade to Tiger 10.4? What media are you using to upgrade? What CD/DVD media? Only thing that will work is a Factory OSX Tiger 10.4 DVD and not a machine specific install DVD.

M

MacHeadCase

I think dtravis has it right: sounds to me too like you are trying to use install disks that come from another Mac to perform that 10.3 to 10.4 upgrade.

OP
jimnation
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Mac Mini
So you have a G4 Mac Mini with Panther 10.3 and want to upgrade to Tiger 10.4? What media are you using to upgrade? What CD/DVD media? Only thing that will work is a Factory OSX Tiger 10.4 DVD and not a machine specific install DVD.

I'm using a Factory OSX Tiger 10.4 DVD that I just purchased.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I'm using a Factory OSX Tiger 10.4 DVD that I just purchased.

Are you running the Disk Utility in 10.3 or from the 10.4 Tiger DVD? Sounds like there are problems on your Hard Drive that need to be repaired. Since the drive is mounted when booted from your Hard Drive, you should run Disk Utility from the DVD.

OP
jimnation
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Mac Mini
Are you running the Disk Utility in 10.3 or from the 10.4 Tiger DVD? Sounds like there are problems on your Hard Drive that need to be repaired. Since the drive is mounted when booted from your Hard Drive, you should run Disk Utility from the DVD.

I have tried both the 10.4 and the 10.3 utilities. The error I receive is in the 10.4 utility (somewhat understandable), but when I try in 10.3, the repair options are unavailable ('greyed out').

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have tried both the 10.4 and the 10.3 utilities. The error I receive is in the 10.4 utility (somewhat understandable), but when I try in 10.3, the repair options are unavailable ('greyed out').

When the drive is mounted the repair options are grayed out as you can not repair a Hard Drive while it's mounted. The one on the Tiger DVD should work. Sounds like there is a bad issue. What error does the 10.4 Disk Utility give you?

Do you still have your install disks that came with the Mini? IF so boot from them and try running Disk Utility, but the one on the 10.4 DVD should work. Do it all the time unless there is something major wrong that it can't get around.

If nothing else works and you can't get Disk Utility to fix the issues, I would back up your important files and install 10.4 fresh.

OP
jimnation
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Mac Mini
When the drive is mounted the repair options are grayed out as you can not repair a Hard Drive while it's mounted. The one on the Tiger DVD should work. Sounds like there is a bad issue. What error does the 10.4 Disk Utility give you?

Do you still have your install disks that came with the Mini? IF so boot from them and try running Disk Utility, but the one on the 10.4 DVD should work. Do it all the time unless there is something major wrong that it can't get around.

If nothing else works and you can't get Disk Utility to fix the issues, I would back up your important files and install 10.4 fresh.

Thanks! I'll try - I'm at work right now and the Mac Min's at home. I will post an update this evening.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks! I'll try - I'm at work right now and the Mac Min's at home. I will post an update this evening.

Sounds good. Let us know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.