New Macbook crash!! :o(

Reaction score
Hey all!

Was a PC dude for years, switched over to Mac 2 months ago (never looked back), but started having problems last week!

It goes like so:

Macbook (2gig Ram, 2.16 ghz) worked perfectly. I connect via Wifi to Netgear router. Macbook now seems to show that it has full wifi connectivity (via indicator in top right) but after about 5 mins of usage, ill click a weblink and it will just stop loading a page (blue bar in safari will be halfway done). Ill wait. Nothing. If I move mouse pointer over wifi indicator (or anywhere on top right bar) the pointer turns to the spinning mulitcoloured "wait" icon and the system crashes. By crash i mean nothing loads - if i click on say "iphoto" in the dock it just bounces up and down but thats it. I have to reboot.

Ive tried:

Installing Sheera, and Firefox (no help - although the problem i think got worse when i installed Safari 3 Beta)

Changing WIFI channel from 1, to 9 to 11. Nothing.

Moving router around (helped. When its closer to the machine it seems to work far better)

Shed tears - although lubricated my eyes, did nothing for the mac situation.

Going to repair permissions tonight and see what happens.

Any help???

P.s Desktop PC, and Laptop both work perfectly around the house on wifi

Thanks

:Angry-Tongue:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" white 2.16Ghz, 2Gb ram, 120gb hd
you might want to try and pop in the mac os x disc that you have when you bought your mac book and run a disk repair on it...

OP
S
Reaction score
Think it worked...

Went into Disk utilities and did a disk repair.... seems to have worked!!

Interesting - what does disk repair do?

Reaction score
Check out the OS X Section, a lot of us are having the same problems. Mine happened after I updated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" white 2.16Ghz, 2Gb ram, 120gb hd
The disk repair utility does 1 of 2 things...

1. repair the permissions on your hard drive or in other words reset them accordingly...
2.disk repair i think repairs any corrupt data or segments on your disk...

If i'm wrong, please let me know

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
Two friends of mine have unfortunately had the EXACT same symptoms as you have had here, and both are using different MacBooks (one a CoreCuo BlackBook, and one a Core2Duo MacBook Pro). This happened to both computers upon update to OS X 10.4.10. I recommended to both of them to Archive and Install from the original disks to bring them back down to 10.4.6 or whatever, then use Apple's website to find the 10.4.9 download. It seems that the latest update has broken some things, or the installation corrupts disk sectors/permissions somehow.

FYI, I have a C2D MacBook Pro, and I have not experienced any of these issues after upgrading to 10.4.10.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.