• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

how to download embeded flash videos off sites (macbook)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,white 2.16ghz C2D/2GB RAM/120GB, iPOD 60GB
is this even possible?

thanks (^.^)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
i know of a way, but it takes a little work, and a little html knowledge. i'm not so sure about safari, but i know it works with firefox... and it all depends on how badly you want it:p

what you need to do, is on the site with it. go to view>source, than you need to find the file in the code, the best way is to go to edit>find and search '.swf' and hopefully there is only one, but normally you can tell which one you want by the file name, then what you need to do is copy the file location "i.e. http://www.mac-forums.com/afolder/flash.swf " and just that, then, paste it into a textedit document, with plain text on, and around it put

<html>
<body>
<a href="http://www.mac-forums/afolder/flash.swf">Text Here</a>
</body>
</html>

of course substituting the file, and what ever text you want, than save it with the extension .html , it should as you if you want to use .txt, or .html (make sure textedit is in plain text mode, not rtf) than open that file in a browser.. ctrl click on the text and hit save link as, or something to that effect.

it's not as much work as it sounds, but it all depends how badly you want the video:p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 20"!! WOOH YEAH!! 2gb ram - 250gb hd 2.16ghz core 2 duo
Are there any quicktime plugins which allow you to view flash?
If there are can you save them to your machine from QT like you can with QTMovies on the web?

Just a thought

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
due to the nature of a flash, with all it's action-script and what not. no, you can't get a plug in, it would also be very difficult for them to make one, it's kind of like watching a movie in preview:p

Reaction score
is this even possible?

thanks (^.^)

due to the nature of a flash, with all it's action-script and what not. no, you can't get a plug in, it would also be very difficult for them to make one, it's kind of like watching a movie in preview:p

There are infact quicktime plugins that allow you to view flash. I opened a CD today that I got with "computer arts magazine", clicked on a video to open it and I got a promt about enabling Flash within Quicktime, I clicked yes and I was able to play the Flash file in Quicktime.

Would this have anything to do with me having CS3 with Flash installed?

Reaction score
There are at least a couple of Firefox extensions that download Flash movies. I have VideoDownloader.

It's icon is placed in Firefox's status bar. On a YouTube page, I click the icon, a window pops up, and I click on Download.

Wimpy FLV Player will play flvs without having to convert them. VLC will, too, but as soon as I click the movie-progress arrow to move it ahead or back, VLC crashes.

Edit: Add .flv to the clip's name after it's downloaded.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MacBook 2GB RAM
I use Flash Video Downloader. Nice free little app from freemacware.com.

Reaction score
If the site allows the video to be cached, as YouTube does, you can wait until the progress bar shows it's fully downloaded, open the browser's cache folder, change it to list by view to see the file sizes, and option-drag the largest file onto the desktop. (The pic is of Firefox's cache.)

Sometimes the cached file disappears, though, so don't wait too long. Option-drag the file to copy it, because if you simply move the file, it still might disappear.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
After you download it, is there a way to convert it to mp4 so that you'd be able to dumb it into an iPod.

OP
qwinkan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i know of a way, but it takes a little work, and a little html knowledge. i'm not so sure about safari, but i know it works with firefox... and it all depends on how badly you want it:p

what you need to do, is on the site with it. go to view>source, than you need to find the file in the code, the best way is to go to edit>find and search '.swf' and hopefully there is only one, but normally you can tell which one you want by the file name, then what you need to do is copy the file location "i.e. http://www.mac-forums.com/afolder/flash.swf " and just that, then, paste it into a textedit document, with plain text on, and around it put

<html>
<body>
</body>
</html>

of course substituting the file, and what ever text you want, than save it with the extension .html , it should as you if you want to use .txt, or .html (make sure textedit is in plain text mode, not rtf) than open that file in a browser.. ctrl click on the text and hit save link as, or something to that effect.

it's not as much work as it sounds, but it all depends how badly you want the video:p

thanks ki99, i'll give this a try this weekend =P

OP
qwinkan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are at least a couple of Firefox extensions that download Flash movies. I have VideoDownloader.

It's icon is placed in Firefox's status bar. On a YouTube page, I click the icon, a window pops up, and I click on Download.

Wimpy FLV Player will play flvs without having to convert them. VLC will, too, but as soon as I click the movie-progress arrow to move it ahead or back, VLC crashes.

Edit: Add .flv to the clip's name after it's downloaded.

I use Flash Video Downloader. Nice free little app from freemacware.com.

are flash/.swf and .flv different things?

I learned a way through activity window, it works with youtube. after it downloads i have to rename it with a .flv at the end and it plays with quicktime. but for some reason I couln't find the file to double click in other sites. (ie. www.asiafinest.com/multimedia/pucca)

i've been using video downloader too and it works well except that it only works on certain sites like youtube.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB

<html>
<body>
</body>
</html>

I tried this method and it worked, but I only got the first blank frame, a website, not a video file.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.