FireWire stopped working (10.4.10 update?)

Reaction score
hello

my imac has stopped recognizing firewire. When I connect my wd-disc or motu soundcard, nothing happens

My specs are:
1.9 GHz PowerPC G5
1.5 GB DDR2 SDRAM
osx 10.4.10

A few hours prior to the problem i installed the 10.4.10 update. When I rebooted I recived kernel panic for the first time. Then as I´ve said after an hour or so the machine stopped recognizing firewire.

I have (among others) tried safe mode, repaire permissions, that alt+option+p+r thing and this other thing I found on the web:

* shut down and disconnect all external drives and peripherals ; make sure nothing is connected to the FireWire ports
* use Apple Disk Utility to repair permissions on your internal boot drive
* shut down and disconnect the AC power from the computer as well as the drives; if laptop, also remove battery
* let sit unpowered and unconnected for 15 minutes
* reconnect AC power to only the computer (battery too if laptop)
* restart computer
* verify that FireWire ports are visible within Apple System Profiler
* reconnect FireWire drive (only one); refresh window within Apple System Profiler to rescan the FireWire bus; confirm that drive is visible
* confirm drive is OK by using Apple Disk Utility and apply First Aid
* repeat for other drives, one at a time

nothing seem to work.
Any suggestions? Im starting to get desperate over here (norway:) )

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, arildgismervik.

I have an iMac G5 too and everything is working fine. Take a look at this post and try what is suggested. And never mind the mention about Safari 3 if you haven't installed that beta. :)

Good luck, let us know how it goes by reporting back.

OP
A
Reaction score
thanks for the help:)

unfortunaly it didnt do much difference. I also tried one of those pmu without it having an effect

would it help to (dont know the correct word) format/clean up and reinstall osx?

M

MacHeadCase

First, you do have your install disks that came with your Mac, yes? Insert the disk that contains the Apple Hardware Test, restart holding down the C key and when prompted, ask for the Extended Test to be run. This will check all the hardware components on your Mac, including RAM, ports, video card, etc.

Post back with your findings. If the port is dead, it will be listed as such in the report once the test is over.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed with MHC, run the hardware test and see if finds any issues. I have a 2.1Ghz iMac iSight and the firewire works as normal since the update. Let us know if the Hardware Test finds anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro 17" 2GB Ram, Intel Core Duo
seems to be a couple of issues with the new update, but mainly isolated though

OP
A
Reaction score
Dont you mean holding down the option button. Thats whats written on the install cd. "C" is to start up from osx. I tried holding down the c button to make sure but only came to the installation.

anyway. I tried holding down the option button but nothing happens. I must have tried like 5 times - holding it down during the whole startup.
It doesnt make sense:Grimmace:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.