• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Movie Camera Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3
Im a novice film editor, I would love to utilize the power of Idvd and Imovie and reall make some cool family movies, especially for xmas time... here is my problem.. I went to BestBuy and a couple other stores looking for a decent camera and no one seems to know anything...
Thats why I want advive from you pros... Since its my first camera and Im not really looking to shoot oscar award movies yet....

My range would be between 250-350... as y skill grows i will invest in a higher end model... I came up with this price range becuase I saw alot of cameras in those stores for that amount.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4 GHz C2D 160 GB HDD 2 GB RAM
For your price range I would recommend the Canon Elura 100. I've worked with it before in my TV production class and my mom has one for home movies and stuff. Its a Mini DV camera and its pretty light and compact. It even has a mic input (which some lower end cameras don't have) in case you ever plan on using it for short films and require better sound quality than what the onboard camera mic will give. Heres the CNET review on it if you want some more info.

OP
macjuicy23
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Awesome....

It has firewire right? I just want a nice picture so I can play around and edite family and make fun short films....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4 GHz C2D 160 GB HDD 2 GB RAM
Yep it has a firewire connection. Good luck with the movie making broslamz.

OP
macjuicy23
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the advice, i think Im going with it....

Reaction score
That looks like a good camcorder.. If you decide to go with it, I would love to see some footage...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.