Blank CDs don't eject

Reaction score
If I put a bank CD in my macbook, I get no CD icon on my desktop. If I press the eject button on the keyboard, nothing happens. The only way I have found to eject it, is to start up TOAST program, then quit that program, which automatically ejects it. Is there no simpler way?! It seems a little ridiculous.

Has anyone else had troubles with the eject button? Actually even with ordinary CDs or DVDs, I have often had the button do nothing at all, though I think sometimes it does work. Then when it does nothing I have to drag the icon to the garbage to eject it (though obviously for the problem I stated above that is not possible).

Thank you
Justin

Reaction score
Click on the desktop to get into the Finder, then go under the Finder menu-bar item and choose Preferences.

Click on General, then under "Show these items on the Desktop," click on "CDs, DVDs, and iPods."

A recent OS X software update added a couple of seconds delay to the eject button. Apparently too many people using laptops were hitting it accidentally. Or something.

But with CD visible, you can right-click it and eject it.

Reaction score
Richmond, VA, a native of Chapel Hill, N.C.
Your Mac's Specs
17' iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16 1g ram | iPod Photo 60gb | 2G Shuffle
You can skip all the stuff going through Finder, and just hold the eject button. After a few seconds, it'll eject anything that's in the drive, unless the disc is being used by a program. If that still doesn't work (you see the eject icon on your screen, but the disc doesn't pop out), you might need to quit whichever program is "using" the disc- VLC, mac the ripper, whatever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
You have to hold down the eject button.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
Not sure about that but you can hook them both up to your router or to each other using an Ethernet cable and go into Finder, go in the Network menu, Go in the Mshome folder and find your PC and connect to it.

Dunno bout firewire though.

OP
J
Reaction score
Click on the desktop to get into the Finder, then go under the Finder menu-bar item and choose Preferences.

Click on General, then under "Show these items on the Desktop," click on "CDs, DVDs, and iPods."

Well, ipods are shown and CDs with stuff on are shown. Always were. It was just the blank CDs that weren't showing.

OP
J
Reaction score
You have to hold down the eject button.

Thank you for that. Now that is surely counterintuitive!!! I'm sure I used always to hear my brother claiming "Macs are so intuitive!" I just presumed that all the buttons on this Macbook were the same, you press it and it works. So I had been pressing the eject button, and nothing was working. I would even press it repeatedly, and nothing at all. Now that you have said hold it down, it is working. I would not have guessed that. Seems very silly to me, as if we should all be psychically reading the designers' minds!
Thanks for the info though
Justin

Reaction score
Well, ipods are shown and CDs with stuff on are shown. Always were. It was just the blank CDs that weren't showing.
There's another setting in the System Preferences' CDs and DVDs pane. Change the top two to Open Finder.

M

MacHeadCase

Thank you for that. Now that is surely counterintuitive!!! I'm sure I used always to hear my brother claiming "Macs are so intuitive!" I just presumed that all the buttons on this Macbook were the same, you press it and it works. So I had been pressing the eject button, and nothing was working. I would even press it repeatedly, and nothing at all. Now that you have said hold it down, it is working. I would not have guessed that. Seems very silly to me, as if we should all be psychically reading the designers' minds!
Thanks for the info though
Justin

I think it was in the 10.4.9 update (or was it 10.4.8?... anywho...) Apple put a delay action in the eject button because users were complaining they hit unnecessarily the eject key by mistake and their optical drive would eject their media so now users have to press the eject key a bit longer than before.

OP
J
Reaction score
There's another setting in the System Preferences' CDs and DVDs pane. Change the top two to Open Finder.

Woah, thanks. That seems weird. I thought "Open Finder" would mean open a "finder" window, when it is inserted. but actually it just puts an icon on the desktop exactly like I wanted. Thanks a lot! So is the mac term for "icon on desktop" then actually "finder"? I am trying to get used to this new kind of computer. Is that what a "finder" is?
Thanks
Justin

Reaction score
Woah, thanks. That seems weird. I thought "Open Finder" would mean open a "finder" window, when it is inserted.
So did I, and we're not the only ones.
So is the mac term for "icon on desktop" then actually "finder"?
Only in that misleading drop-down. It would be better if it said "Make visible in Finder." Better yet would be "Make visible on desktop."
Is that what a "finder" is?
The Finder is the GUI's application, so if you think of it as such, Finder and the terms surrounding it might be easier to understand. (It's been compared to Windows' Explorer.)

The computer showing a file in (the) Finder might be compared to showing a file in Word. Since each is an application, the drop-down offering a choice to Open Finder is like a drop-down offering a choice to open Word.

OP
J
Reaction score
So did I, and we're not the only ones.Only in that misleading drop-down. It would be better if it said "Make visible in Finder." Better yet would be "Make visible on desktop."

[...]

The computer showing a file in (the) Finder might be compared to showing a file in Word. Since each is an application, the drop-down offering a choice to Open Finder is like a drop-down offering a choice to open Word.

But no program opens when I insert the CD. I tried it. All that happens is that an icon appears on my desktop. I think your suggestion that it would say "Make visible on desktop" is good. Hope someone is hearing us.

Justin

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.