Help needed before purchase!...

Reaction score
Hi everyone

i ve recently grown keep to get a MacBook to deal with more graphical programs like Photoshop & SketchUp. So I will be pleased if you guys can gimme a hand by helping me out with some queries. They're probably more general queries about Mac.

1. There are websites that allow download of programs in 2 versions: Windows & Mac OS X. If I download the latter will I be able to use it in my MacBook?

2. I own a ipod vid. & sync it with my Acer laptop. Will I be able to connect it to the MacBook & perform the usual syncing tasks?

3. Well, I really like how the MacBook looks. Small, mobile & sleek. But I'm not a really keen user of the touchpad. Anyone out there who uses the mouse with their MacBook & carry it around?

4. I ve gone to a couple of Apple stores & in most of them, the software section doesnt seem (or maybe I just didnt realise it) to have anti virus programs or anti spam softwares. Does these programs work the same for Macs as they do on PCs? is there something I am missing out on?

Havent started using any Mac just yet, so these are probably just starters. Im sure I ll have more 2 ask when I actually get one. =)

Thanks anyway. Any help will be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
1 - Yh, just download the mac OS X version and it should work. programmes in mac os x are usually .dmg format or .pkg

To install a dmg file, just double click on the downloaded file and then drag the application icon from the disk image that opens up to your applications folder in your sidebar of the finder.

You can then eject the virtual disk image and move the .dmg file to the trash.

4 - Mac OS X does not need antivirus of antispyware software as all viruses and spyware are written for windows not macs.

However you can purchase an antivirus solution, however this is so that you do not accidently send a virus by email etc to anyone else with windows and its also to protect other windows machines you may have on your network.

There is also a free antivirus called ClamXa search it in google

OP
N
Reaction score
alright. That really helped. Another step forward towards understanding Mac & getting a macbook.

Thanks. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
its a little more complicated than just 'viruses aren't written for mac' but apple has made sure you are very safe and virus free, there isn't a case of one virus for mac, but that doesn't mean there wont be... but the way the mac is set it, it is very hard for it to infect your system, so you can get anti-virus if your are worried, but you should otherwise be safe:)

the ipod video is made by apple, the same company that makes the macbooks, you should be able to sync better than ever:p plus most macbooks ship with itunes! w00t!:p

i use my touchpad when i carry it around and love it, but i use a usb mouse a lot too with mine, in fact i am using one right now:p any usb mouse works for the macbook, as well as most usb keyboards. although macs don't have a "right click" while using the touch pad, holding down ctrl while clicking secondary clicks, and the right button on a usb mouse works, but right click is rarely even needed.

and as for your first question, since you have a macbook, you need to get the 'intel' version of a lot of the programs, most of them nowaday's are just universal now but, for older ones. there is two types of processors in mac's: ppc and intel, macbooks use intel, as all the new macs do, but yea, os x is the OS that is used on the mac:p so most OS X programs work fine, and they are even easier to instal, just as shahvikram123 said, it's simply, once you see it, most of the time you can open it, but to 'install' it you need to drag it from the virtual disc to your applications folder, if you can't see your apps folder, just hit the little button on the top right of your window and your sidebar should appear. a few programs use an actual intall program but those are very windows looking and shouldn't be very confusing:p

sorry my answers are out of order.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.