• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

IBook G4

Reaction score
HI,
I have a IBook G4 and installed Tiger by firewire as this has no DVD, now when I boot up it goes through the screens and shows the spinning logo and then screen go black and mouse does not work, if I plug an external mouse this works and you are able to move the cursor on black screen. also I can plug this in via firewire and boot to another laptop fine and see the tiger inslatt any ideas.
Thanks Lee

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Are you using the original Tiger retail DVD, or is it a system DVD for another Mac?

OP
L
Reaction score
Dvd

Hi,

It is a Pre Release version MacOSXTiger +Xcode (WWDC2004) developer preview discs

Thanks Lee

M

MacHeadCase

First of all, by trying to install that, you are doing something illegal, breaking the developers' EULA, and second of all, you are installing a version that was like a beta, probably worse.

I'm sure Apple would love to know who that developer is. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
I'd reccomend getting a cheap Tiger retail disk off eBay, or iBook install CDs.

OP
L
Reaction score
I have bought a full set of Ebay and I am going to try them, not sure why the DVD version I have got is illegal to install!! I told a apple shop what I was trying to install this and they did not say anything.
Cheers Lee

M

MacHeadCase

Well the disk does say it on the label, according to what you posted:

Pre Release version MacOSXTiger +Xcode (WWDC2004) developer preview discs

It was probably given to developers attending the 2004 WWDC. Like this year's WWDC, I would bet the people in attendance got a pre-release Leopard version as well.

Unless there's a time limit on those disks, I think the developers sign an agreement with Apple to get those and they cannot leak them to the public. Not saying it's your fault. It's more the guy that made a buck or two off of you.

OP
L
Reaction score
Okay...I am new to apple PC's and software so did not notice the difference.

Cheers Lee

OP
L
Reaction score
Hi,

I have tried this and I still get the black screen I am able to move a external mouse and i can get to the bios and command promts but it will not go past this black screen. any ideas

Thanks Lee

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.