Dual Boot

Reaction score
Is it true that if I have my windows xp disk that I can install it on a MAC and use the MAC programs and also my PC programs that are not MAC compatible?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
are you going to use bootcamp or parcells

Reaction score
well ive heard that if you have boot camp you run windows natively and run ur mac like it was a regular windows machine, all games, softwares, and all stuff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
if you use bootcamp with xp you can only run pc programs since you make a partion on ur hard drive and u need to reboot everytime u want to switch to mac or pc. if u have parcells u can run windows in a window in mac. its not really for graphic intensive use, just normal pc programs that mac doesnt support, and you can run it while mac os X is.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I would use parcels. I have a Seiko Smart Label printer and cant find a MAC edition. I assume that using parcels I could operate it on windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
i would think it would without any problems. its just i cant tell you exactly because i personally use bootcamp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i7, MBP 2.2GHz, Hackintosh (retired)
Just so you don't go looking for the wrong thing, it's Parallels no Parcells.

Parallels Website

Reaction score
i use bootcamp to play counter strike every once and a while and the performance smokes on any other windows box i have used.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro - 2.2GHz, 2GB RAM, 128MB 8600M GT
If it is just for one program you use, just use Parallels. However if you use graphic or CPU intensive programs, I would use BootCamp since then everything runs 100% smoothly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.4GHz MBP
Excuse my ignorance, but am I required to have two Keys/Licenses of Windows if I want to have both Parallels and Boot Camp for my windows OS? I sure hope not, but if someone knows, I would really appreciate the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Excuse my ignorance, but am I required to have two Keys/Licenses of Windows if I want to have both Parallels and Boot Camp for my windows OS? I sure hope not, but if someone knows, I would really appreciate the help.

I doubt it. I certainly wouldn't pay twice for your purposes whatever they might say.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB RAM, 22" Samsung WS monitor, Apple Bluetooth KB & Mighty Mouse, Airport Extreme BS

Well, under Boot Camp I installed an OEM copy of XL which I bought. Typed in the supplied key to get it working. A couple of weeks later I installed Parallels. They give you the option of using regular or Boot Camp install. With regular you must install a second version of XP. Nuts! I've got only one license. So had to use Boot Camp option, which is what I wanted anyway. Trouble is after the Parallels install I got a message that because of hardware changes (what hardware changes??), I must reactive XP. I had to contact Microsoft and convince them to give me another activation key. Real stupid Parallels install IMO.

I am entitled to an upgrade to Parallels 3, but I have to find out if installing it is going to effect XP licensing again. I'm not going through this again, and since everything is working fine, I may not upgrade.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.