• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

ISO images

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.4ghz intel dualcore 2, 2gb ram, 250gb hdd
I'm new to mac's. I was wondering if there is a program available on mac that will allow you to mount an image preferable an ISO, so you can view say a movie, and not carry all the disc's around. Similar to Nero image drive if anyone is familiar with that. If your not it allow's you to create a virtual drive and you can load the ISO image in it and it plays like a dvd minus having the disc's in.

Reaction score
Hey nickcit,
As far as I know Mac OS X mounts the images on the desktop automatically when you open them so there is no messing about with third party applications.

I could be wrong though... I'm sure some of the other guys here can verify this or correct me if I'm wrong. ;)

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I tried that .. all it does is bring up the open this file with which program. And none seem to work.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Toast .. hmmm i'll give that a try .. any particular site to download:D

Reaction score
Well Toast 8 Titanium is a commercial product and so it would be illegal to download it from something like Bittorrent for example ;)

You would have to purchase it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I'm confused. Nickcit, are you saying you have a file on your Mac that is a disc image in one of the ISO 9660 formats? It is using the Windows specific extension to the exclusion of the others?

Have you tried "Disk Utility" in the /Applications/Utilities folder?

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I put the movie into an ISO image with DVD shrink on my PC. I then transfered the image to my wife's macbook, so she could watch the movie without having to bring the disc with her. On my laptop I have Nero 7.7 and it has an option to enable Nero Image Drive. And what it does is it creates a virtual drive where you can mount either NRG or ISO images and run it to view it. It's a nice feature that way I can have a few movies on an external drive or on the on the laptop itself without having to carry the DVD's around.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
If the iso is in the proper format, you whould be able to just double click it, and it will mount. It will look like a white external drive. You then just play the contents with DVD player, or VLC.

Maybe its an issue of the encoding. It should work.

Best,

Brian

Reaction score
I put the movie into an ISO image with DVD shrink on my PC. I then transfered the image to my wife's macbook, so she could watch the movie without having to bring the disc with her. On my laptop I have Nero 7.7 and it has an option to enable Nero Image Drive. And what it does is it creates a virtual drive where you can mount either NRG or ISO images and run it to view it. It's a nice feature that way I can have a few movies on an external drive or on the on the laptop itself without having to carry the DVD's around.

The rest are right on.

OSX mounts ISO files as discs automatically, ot Image Drive-esque software needed. As a matter of fact, most OSX software downloads are supplied as ISO files (compress into a DMG file).

I have never had a ISO file made on my PC not work in OSX, but I don't doubt you are having a problem. I can think of three things.

1. The file is corrupt, but if you can get it to mount with Image Drive, than that is probably not it. Leaving,...

2. Somehow DVD Shrink is writing the file like OSX wants to see

3. I must also admit, I've never tried a ISO file of a DVD-Video disk format (I have only used data files). It may be simply that they do not work. I know DVD Video files are ignored by OSX built-in CD/DVD burning software, you can't bruna video disc with a simple drag and drop like you can data (though it is possible through Terminal). Maybe someone here can confirm that a ISO image of the UDF DVD Video disc (video_ts based) will open?

Might I suggest just using Mac the Ripper (free!) and rip the original DVD straight to the Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
I can confirm that an .iso file with Video_TS and Audio_TS inside will opne right up on the Mac. Done multiple times. I just drag the Video_TS folder to VLC, and BOOM! There it is!

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I may try the mac ripper. Because what it is doing is, it mounts the image like everyone says, but it won't play the contents. It shows the video files from the movie and if I click to play it brings up the open with..... (what program)

Reaction score
Yeah I may try the mac ripper. Because what it is doing is, it mounts the image like everyone says, but it won't play the contents. It shows the video files from the movie and if I click to play it brings up the open with..... (what program)

OOOOOHHhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Not a problem with the ISO at all, as a matter of fact, you would have this problem with any ripped disk files.

Yeah, for some reason the DVD Player in OSX wants to see the content as a whole (entire Video_TS folder) and not be opened from any of the individual files.

You have to launch the DVD Player, "Open DVD Media" and then select the "video_TS" folder itself , and then it will recognize that folder as a pseudo DVD menus and all. I believe you can also force open

But, first try to drag the "Video_TS" folder right to the DVD Player icon on the dock on in the applications folder, I don't remember if that works or not.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you everyone .. that worked .. As soon as I opened the DVD player it started to play the ISO image. I must say its way easier than on PC once you get it figured out ..

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just for the record, I took a dvd and burned it to an .NRG image in Nero on my PC. Network copied it to my iMac G5. Clicked on it and Toast 7 came up and mounted the .NRG image and DVD player came up and played it! I had never tried a Nero Image but Toast will mount them! Amazing!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.