• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Editing with H.264 manageable?

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting an HD camcorder that uses H.264 compression but from what I've heard it's no the best codec for editing. I tried to load a 30 second movie clip in H.264 to iMovie and it took a good 5 minutes, I'm afraid if I shoot anything longer than that with my camera that the files will not be manageable for me to edit. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Core2Duo, 2.33Ghz, 2GB Ram, 15.4"
I personally would play the files from the camcorder and capture them as they play. Would take longer than just copying the files over but at least that way they're sure to work and be efficient to edit. I don't have too much luck editing in H.264.

OP
eon.
Reaction score
I personally would play the files from the camcorder and capture them as they play. Would take longer than just copying the files over but at least that way they're sure to work and be efficient to edit. I don't have too much luck editing in H.264.

can you elaborate on that? I'm brand new to video editing :) what apps are good for capturing streaming video straight from a camera? what codecs are best to use for editing? I'm not doing anything Hollywood quality I just wanna add some music and transition effects to my films

Reaction score
iMovie HD will take a long time to load the H.264 format movie.
What I do just convert it to AVI, and it is suitable to edit in iMovie.

OP
eon.
Reaction score
iMovie HD will take a long time to load the H.264 format movie.
What I do just convert it to AVI, and it is suitable to edit in iMovie.

but doesn't iMovie convert the video into a different format for editing anyway? Would I really be saving time converting to AVI then importing it into iMovie?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Core2Duo, 2.33Ghz, 2GB Ram, 15.4"
iMovie converts everything you import into the format you've chosen to make the project in so I don't think you'd be saving any time converting it twice. Plus you run the risk of loosing quality by converting files twice.

OP
eon.
Reaction score
iMovie converts everything you import into the format you've chosen to make the project in so I don't think you'd be saving any time converting it twice. Plus you run the risk of loosing quality by converting files twice.

I didn't know you could change the format of the project, is it possible to use the H.264 codec then? or did I misunderstand..?

Reaction score
I imported H.264 into iMovie, it really took long time, since iMovie may anylize every frame to enable you to edit it. I found that iMovie can handle avi format very quickly, so I just convert them to avi and edit them by iMovie.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.