Connecting to other networks...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4GHz 4GB, iPod Classic 120GB
just wondering here... I know in windows with the wireless there is an icon in the system tray that you click that shows all available networks. and you can connect to one.

Is there anything like that for Macs? I know I can click my network settings but where do I scan for other networks? when I click connect will it auto scan and they will be under the drop down box? or how does this work? i haven't gone outside of my home network yet so idk how it would work. Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.4GHz MBP
I'm not sure if I'm understanding your question properly or if I'm answering it right.

But if you want to search or see what other wireless networks there are around you, you simply click on the wireless icon on the top bar and it'll show all the other wireless networks around you as well as the wireless network you are connected to. Hope that helps

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
There is an Airport icon up by the clock and speaker on the right side of the toolbar. In this picture I have it clicked. Those are all the WiFi networks in my area.

Hope that helps. I use it all the time to find and connect to WiFi networks when I am on the go.

Picture 1.jpg

OP
TheInvsbleMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4GHz 4GB, iPod Classic 120GB
oh ok yea I knew about that I just wasn't sure if ones I wasn't connected to would show up there... like I said I haven't been away from home yet

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
oh ok yea I knew about that I just wasn't sure if ones I wasn't connected to would show up there... like I said I haven't been away from home yet

Yes, they will all show up there.

Reaction score
Yeah , we have even better than this. I always found the Windows way a little bit annoying.

With Mac its just straight to the point.
You can just click the airport drop down menu and select the network that you want to join. Simple, no frustration, it works.

Obviously if you need the WEP it will ask you for it but thats it.

:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.