Running Linux apps on my Mac or Linux itself

N

Nightblade

Actually, I have a question too, and it's related to this. How do I run Linux applications on my Mac succesfully? I know it's got something to do with Darwin, X11 and Fink (all of which I have), but I don't know exactly what. All I know is that I want to be able to run this Linux program, called Highly Experimental:

http://www.brownjava.org/software/he-xmms/

I guess the other option is simply getting running a Linux operating system on my Mac. I tried downloading Red Hat from an FTP from its official website, and I think it would've worked provided I entered a name and a password. I tried entering my full name as well as a password (the same password I need to enter whenever I install something), but they were invalid. Does anyone know what that password might be, or how I could get it? I'd really appreciate help on this.

OP
N

Nightblade

Wow, thanks! I'll give it a shot!

----You know, on second thought, I didn't know installing Linux would erase my hard drive! :eek: I thought I'd be able to transfer freely from Mac OS X to YellowDog anytime I want, like I can with Mac OS X and Mac OS 9. But it seems it's not the same.....However, I've heard that when you install a Linux operating system on a Windows computer, if you have something called Partition Magic, it won't erase your hard drive or something? So, is there a Partition Magic for Macs? Because, if installing it will erase my hard drive, then I think I'll work on my other theory of simply running Linux applications on a Mac. If that fails too, I'll simply get a copy of Windows for Virtual PC. But still, I'd like to be able to run Linux apps in the meantime.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.