3D games on parallels?

Reaction score
I have parallels with windows vista on it, but it wont run certain games (Counter Strike Source, Age of Mythology to be exact) CSS doesnt even open, but AOM gives me a message that says my video card isnt compatable with the game. Is there anyway to fix it, or should i go the bootcamp way to be able to run either of the games?

Thanks.

Reaction score
What version of Parallels are you running? From what I understand, Parallels 3.0 is the only one that has 3D graphics support - and I'm not sure that it 100% works properly.

Your best option is BootCamp, if you want to game.

OP
S
Reaction score
I downloaded the new one, which im using for the 15 day free trial, but i dont want to buy it in full if i cant run these games on it.

BootCamp can run any games on it though correct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Parallels 3 will only emulate DirectX 8, by all accounts. BootCamp will run virtually anything, I'm running Oblivion and Tomb Raider Anniversary quite nicely on an iMac.

Reaction score
Parallels 3 will only emulate DirectX 8, by all accounts. BootCamp will run virtually anything, I'm running Oblivion and Tomb Raider Anniversary quite nicely on an iMac.

That is not quite correct i think... I am running Direct X 9.c and quite a few games are working with it like all of the Medal Of Honor series, the original Call Of Duty, and Doom 3 all work on my machine.

The majority of the games i have tried that don't work, do however usually give an error message about direct X so not really sure just what the problem is, but they are working on it... 2.5 wouldn't run anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is not quite correct i think... I am running Direct X 9.c and quite a few games are working with it like all of the Medal Of Honor series, the original Call Of Duty, and Doom 3 all work on my machine.

The majority of the games i have tried that don't work, do however usually give an error message about direct X so not really sure just what the problem is, but they are working on it... 2.5 wouldn't run anything.

My mistake. Some reports stated that DXDiag was reporting a DirectX 8 graphics card.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's

Really???? The ONLY reason I use BootCamp is to play LOTRO, which requires DirectX 9.0c... I had also heard that Parallels 3.0 would only support DirectX 8.1 .

This is very good news if you are correct!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Really???? The ONLY reason I use BootCamp is to play LOTRO, which requires DirectX 9.0c... I had also heard that Parallels 3.0 would only support DirectX 8.1 .

This is very good news if you are correct!!!!

It may not be a full implementation, so some games might work and some might not.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.