Upgrading Harddrive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz, 1GB Ram, 60GB HD. 19in. external display, bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Closed Lid.
Can anyone tell me what kind of hard drives will work with the first gen. macbooks? 60gb just leaves me feeling a little cramped. I just don't know what ATA to choose or serial whatnot... It's all jibber jabber... So if anyone can make some recommendations I'd really appreciate it. I would like aomething around 160gb and up.

Thanks

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz, 1GB Ram, 60GB HD. 19in. external display, bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Closed Lid.
J

jamesx

i bought my hard drive from macsales.com (listed above) and they were great to work with... got to my house faster than they said it would, seemed like a good company.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.
Keep hold of your old hard drive though.

Cause I changed my HDD for a larger faster one, then had an issue with my system, took in my Macbook to an Apple store and they said that it voids my warranty to change it over, even though I said the Apple site state how to do this process in the DIY section of MacBooks. Luckily the chap wasn't that bothered cause he still sorted out my issue for me.
But be warned, they may try to pull a fast one on you if you do go back to the big 'A'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1st gen MacBook black. 2.0ghz 1.5gb RAM 160gb HDD
I just used a regular old 2.5 inch sata drive. worked perfectly.

Reaction score
i'm also looking to upgrade my harddrive but im a bit of techynovice. is there a compatibility issue to buy a toshiba hd for a macbook or do you have to buy a specific apple hd? that may be a stupid question.

also, i dont really know what specs im looking for. i have an idea of what size hd i want, but i dont know what all the rpm and sata stuff means.

i have a macbook, its about a year and a half old. does anyone know what i should be looking for?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
There is no specific Apple brand of hard drives, just get the biggest drive you can afford. You'll want a 2.5" SATA drive with 5400RPM. Here are some that fit that criteria:

Laptop Hard Drives

Reaction score
thank you so much guys... is there a brand thats better? i noticed that theres like 50 or 60 buck differences depending. does it matter overall?

Reaction score
also, someone recommended 7200 rpm bc i do a bit of video editting. is my little macbook capable of having it?

Reaction score
I have a question. After I change the Hard drive do i just use the OS cd that came with my macbook? and also is there some kind of free online storage that i could use to back up all my music, videos, pics and other personal files?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2ghz,1 GB, 250 gig
Im also considering upgrading to 250gig .a friend told me that it can be tricky to reboot.i will certainly be doing more research before i change mine backing up your files would take ages on the internet,i guess youre better off storeing them on a seperate drive.
vote for insanity you know it makes sense...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.