Setting Up Hotmail Email using a MAC based Email Programme?

Reaction score
Hello,

Does anybody here know how to set up a hotmail account using one of the MAC software items so that I can display my emails and send them using the MAC software?

Any help and tips would be great!

Thanks

:Confused:

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hello,

Does anybody here know how to set up a hotmail account using one of the MAC software items so that I can display my emails and send them using the MAC software?

Any help and tips would be great!

Thanks

:Confused:

Hotmail is web-based only, you can not ordinarily read it with a typical email client, regardless of whether you're using a Mac or a PC. However, there are some programs on both platforms that are able to act as an intermediary, grabbing mail from the webmail account and delivering it to your Mail client. One such program on the Mac is MacFreePOPs, which you can download here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP - 24" white iMac - 16gb white iphone3G - 20gb iPod colour
Just thought I'd add to this thread as I use the httpmail plugin and it works great with my hotmail.com address but it doesnt work with my hotmail.co.uk address. I've also tried MacFreePOPs but cant even figure out what I'm doing any ideas?

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
any other ways to do it rather than the plugin and freemacpops?

cheers

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
any other ways to do it rather than the plugin and freemacpops?

cheers

No. Webmail accounts are funded by advertising. They want you to visit the site so that they can show traffic stats to current and potential advertisers.

The plug-ins and programs like MacFreePOPs "screen scrape", that is, they literally go out to the webpage behind the scenes and record the content of your email and deliver to your POP-based mailbox.

MacFreePOPs is not plug and play. Once it's running, you'll need to set up accounts in your Mail program for each of the Webmail accounts you wish to check. Then, you need to specify specific parameters to make you mail client talk to FreePOPs. This tutorial explains how to do it. Although it is geared toward mail applications other than Mail.app, you should be able to take the lessons learned and translate them into Mail.app.

Aside from MacFreePOPs, the only other application I can think of that does something similar would be Mail Forward, although I have no experience with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cheers. Like I said the plugin works on my hotmail.com account but not for the wifes hotmail.co.uk account. strange??

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 ghz "new" 24" iMac
You know, a few years ago, you could actually pay to have your hotmail account be allowed to interact with normal e-mail clients but like people are saying, not by default. I don't know if this is still around but it might be worth looking into. I know since I switched to my iMac I rarely want to use hotmail anymore but I still get tons of mail there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.