• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

AT&T Ramps up for the iPhone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
AT&T Hires 2,000 'iTemps' at Stores to Handle iPhone Launch
Friday, June 22, 2007

NEW YORK — AT&T Inc. (T) said on Thursday it has hired 2,000 temporary store workers to handle its much-hyped introduction of the iPhone, the first cell phone from iPod music player maker Apple Inc. (AAPL)

The biggest U.S. wireless service provider by customer numbers will be the country's only carrier to offer the device when it goes on sale June 29.

AT&T and Apple said they plan to start selling the device starting at 6 p.m. local time in cities across the country.

AT&T spokesman Mark Siegel said the company hired the extra summer staff for its 1,800 stores in anticipation of "significant demand" for the device.

AT&T's wireless division employs a total of about 58,000 people.

The iPhone was first announced in January and combines a music and video player with a Web browser and a touch-sensitive screen in place of a keyboard.

AT&T sales staff have received a total of 100,000 hours of training to sell the device, at "the high end of the normal range" with an average of 6 hours per employee, said Siegel.

Apple, which plans to start selling the phone in all of its 162 retail stores on June 29, did not disclose any plans around training or staffing for the launch.

Apple will also start selling the phone online on the launch date, but AT&T will first launch only in its stores.

"This is such an important product we want to make sure people are fully informed," when they buy it, said Siegel.

AT&T stores will close locally at 4.30 p.m. on that Friday to prepare for the launch, then reopen at 6 p.m. until 10 p.m. that night, according to Siegel.

"We want to free people from the rush of what they would normally encounter on a busy day," he said.

AT&T, which is requiring iPhone shoppers to sign up for a 2-year contract, has not yet revealed the service fees it will charge iPhone customers.

The price of an iPhone will be either $500 and $600, depending on the storage space in the phone.

Apple shares rose 1.7 percent to $123.57 in early afternoon trading on Nasdaq. AT&T was 12 cents higher to $39.65 on the New York Stock Exchange.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
lol iTemps :D That's funny...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Wow 500-600 & a two year contract.

OP
baggss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
That's about what I paid Verizon for my Palm Treo 700P.

Reaction score
daumn its expensive but cool. im goin for sure to the apple store on friday at 6 to check it out or to my closest att store

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.