File Recovery Software

Reaction score
I have run into a problem. I reformatted and forgot to back something up and I really need it. I have searched for some software but google usually fails when trying to find programs like this as most of it is not exactly what you want it to do. Does anyone have any suggestions?

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, dougmoser.

I think one of the best in the lot is ProSoft's Data Rescue.

But these are less than reliable and you just might buy it for nothing as there are good chances your data is lost. The longer you use your computer after the deletion, the less likely you are to get your stuff back too as it will be overwritten.

Reaction score
The best part about Data Rescue is that you can run it in demo mode, scan your drive and see if the file is recoverable. If it looks promising then you can pay for it. Ditto MacHeadCase regarding the fact that as you continue to use your computer you will decrease the chance of ever recovering the file. You must start it in Target mode or from another drive, every time you boot your drive that file is potentially getting overwritten.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.