• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Panther Details

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Source: LoopRumors.com

Today Apple announced that Steve Jobs will keynote the WWDC. Originally scheduled for May 19-23 in San Jose, the 2003 Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) will now be held June 23-27 at San Francisco's Moscone Center. Apple made this change in order to prepare for the next version of its Macintosh operating system, code named "Panther." Panther will mark the third significant upgrade to Mac OS X since its debut. LoopRumors has been hard at work gathering information about the upcoming feline. Here's what we've learned:

System-wide metal . Panther's applications system-wide will sport a metal interface. When LoopRumors first reported a system-wide metal interface on March 18th, it was misinterpreted throughout Macintosh sites all over the net. Most applications already support the metal theme.

Flatter Aqua. The overall Aqua appearance in Panther will be flatter with less dimension. The last iChat update late last year showed signs in this direction with the red yellow and green window controls flatter, appearing more recessed within the window. The recently released iTunes also shows signs with the flatter play, fast forward and rewind buttons.

Improved Dock. You will now be able to control document windows that are sent to the dock. Click and hold on the window's icon in the Dock to Save, Print or Close that window.

Piles. Piles will work just like piles of paper stacked up on your desk. Instead of documents having their own individual space on your computer, you group them together in a Pile and see the contents of that Pile by clicking on it.

iChat 2.0. As we reported on December 5th with a subsequent report on March 24th, iChat will be Apple's answer to Microsoft's NetMeeting. iChat 2.0 will support videoconferencing with video streams at broadcast quality 30fps, taking advantage of a new compression that Apple has been developing. Other new features will include information on how long a buddy has been signed on and access to member profiles.

QuickTime 6.5. New version with support for videoconferencing, and several compression formats, specific details to come in our follow-up story.

Safari 1.0. The Safari web browser will be included as a golden master. Information on new features is still varied, we'll have more on this soon.

iWorks. Apple is developing a new software package that will rival Microsoft's Office X. On March 15, 2003, ThinkSecret first reported that Apple was working on a new productivity suite. iWorks will consist of a word processing application tentatively called "Document," Apple's Keynote presentation software, a spreadsheet/database application, and an updated Mail 2.0 app.

Advanced Mouse Support Built-in. Support for most third party mice with two and three buttons built in. Jaguar already contains support for scroll wheel mice. On April 30th, LoopRumors reported on a Bluetooth mouse in the works. We stand by this report.

Advanced Software Update. Several sources indicate that the Software Update Control Panel is redesigned. One report specifies that SUCP will maintain a history of all purchases made through one-click, i.e. iTunes Music and software purchased through the Apple Store, will always be accessible for download through that User ID.

64-Bit Support. Panther is written to take full advantage of 64-Bit architecture. Further evidence that Apple will adopt IBM's new PowerPC 970 chip. Although most Application written at the time of release will only be optimized for 32-Bit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" iMac 700 MHz G4 640 MB
schweb said:
System-wide metal . Panther's applications system-wide will sport a metal interface.

Noooooo!!! I hope we can still use themes to demetal it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
everyone is freaking out about that. i think it just means all system apps are gonna be brushed metal. Like Safari, iTunes, iChat, Mail, System Preferences, etc... most of them are already brushed metal... i just hope the finder is aqua

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
64-Bit Support. Panther is written to take full advantage of 64-Bit architecture. Further evidence that Apple will adopt IBM's new PowerPC 970 chip. Although most Application written at the time of release will only be optimized for 32-Bit.

It appears that Apple may have some 64 bit processors in house. :cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Hmm.. I dont have a problem with brushed metal.

The processor I cannont wait for!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I concur, brushed metal is not an issue for me. Only if the application does not do what it is advertised to do, is my main concern.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rman said:
I concur, brushed metal is not an issue for me. Only if the application does not do what it is advertised to do, is my main concern.

when has apple made an application that did not do what it said?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
you think theyll be plenty of beta releases after WWDC?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mm.. i think apple will restrict this one down a little.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would yes and no. In that there will be about 3 1/2 months before the release of Mac OS X.3. So there could be several beta release before then. I do think Apple will try to keep a tighter control of the beta releases.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm waiting for the Mail 2.0...I wonder what will be new. I use that instead of Entourage since I think Entourage is too buggy/bulky.

H

hokiethang

yeah, im interested in Mail 2.0. I only use entourage for work e-mail and mail could use some enhancement, and agree that entourage is kind of bulky.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
I need to move over to my iMac full time to make use of mail. I currently use outlook. I guess the closest thing to it would be Entourage. Is it really buggy?

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I used to use Outlook on my PC. When I moved over I assumed that I'd be comfortable with Entourage but for some reason it just annoyed me to death! So I went with Mail. I'll probably try Entourage again when the next version of Office X is released or the Entourage update this summer perhaps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.