Does processor speed affect internet browsing?

W

wickedbusa

This might be a stupid question, but does processor speed affect the speed at which you browse at? For example, I have an iBook G4 800. If I stepped up to a 1.5 ghz Powerbook, would browsing the internet be substantially faster than with my iBook provided I am still on my breadband connection here at home? I notice that loading web pages sometimes takes forever and sometimes it is really fast. It usually doesn't matter if I am on wireless or ethernet. On my old 2.66 ghz Compaq laptop, I would be able to load web pages really quick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
nope processor speed would not change that....What you might be experiencing is just a slowdown of the connection because of too many people in your area on at the same time

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Right, and as the interenet connection is the speed limiting factor, sometimes the actual site is being hit enough to slow a bit

OP
W

wickedbusa

I just notice that if I am plugged into my router via ethernet and click the same webpage on my desktop at the same time, my dektop always pulls up the page a lot quicker.

OP
W

wickedbusa

I think I solved my problem. I'm using Camino as my browser now and the web pages load up quick!

OP
T

TylerMoney

empty out your preferences and cookies/cacke for safari..and it should speed up.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Emptying the chache slows everything down... the cache is what makes Safari so fast.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Well all - - history cache cookies should be deleted on a regular basis

OP
J

joe_joe133

I have a 1.4GHz, 512MB ram, 80gb hdd, gf3 64mb gfx, and i have had no problems normally if its slow its the website like ebay cause so many people are on it i used an old 100mhz with 24mb ram and a 850mb hdd, 1mb gfx and it could download files at max 120kb/sec but loading websites was like 56k cause the hdd was so slow and ram was always maxed both pcs use windows but that doen't make any difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Look at the date this thread was started guys...
I think the issue has been sorted :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.