Does forcing shut down corrupt os x?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4 MBP, 2.16 C2D, 1GB
Since people are downloading betas, etc, I'm sure OS X freezes up on them once in a while. If you have no choice but to force shut down your computer, is there a good change OS X will slowly get corrupted, like Windows? I'm just wondering because today I had to force shut down because of Vmware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
No, because OS X is a UNIX based OS, forcing a shutdown should not corrupt anything over time.

However, you should probably find out how to get in to kill the process that might be making you think that you need to force a shutdown. The only times I've had to force a shutdown is when Finder gets AFU, and that's pretty rare.

Though I did just an hour ago have a loginwindow crash, which took out everything I was running. That was annoying but does happen I suppose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
The only time I have ever had to shutdown without using the normal shutdown method is a Kernel Panic (in which case you don't have a choice). All other times, I have been able to either restart the finder, or Force Quit the offending application. To do this, go to the Apple menu, then force quit, or hold Command and press shift-escape. Find the application that is hanging or giving you the beach ball, and force quit it. This should solve the majority of your issues.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4 MBP, 2.16 C2D, 1GB
That sounds good.

Anyways, my Vmware was not responding, and so was OS X. I still saw animations moving in Safari, but nothing was registering. I tried pressing command-option-escape, but nothing happened.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!
That sounds good.

Anyways, my Vmware was not responding, and so was OS X. I still saw animations moving in Safari, but nothing was registering. I tried pressing command-option-escape, but nothing happened.

I would verify the disk just to make sure everything's ok...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.