Fix your mighty mouse's scroll ball

Reaction score
The page won't allow Firefox — even using safe start through the Terminal — or SeaMonkey to access the page.

Everything to the right of the vertical hairline appears for a fraction of a second, then disappears.

Edit: The problem was with my version of Firefox. I removed it, installed a new one, and that page loads without a problem.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That is interesting. I just tried it here on Camino, Firefox, Opera under OSX and all the latest versions of them by the way. All looked the same as in Safari. Did he fix it since you reported that?

Reaction score
No. I just tried it again with all the Firefox extensions disabled and a safe start through the Terminal — overkill, if anything. Then I tried it with Firefox spoofing IE running in Windows. Still no go.

I can view the page with OS 9's Mozilla, though, even with Adblock running.

Reaction score
If you can get in, the problem has to be in my machine. I've fiddled with them enough that something must be wrong. I'm gonna yank everything Firefox and SeaMonkey, and reload them.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If you can get in, the problem has to be in my machine. I've fiddled with them enough that something must be wrong. I'm gonna yank everything Firefox and SeaMonkey, and reload them.

I am going to boot 3 other macs and try it. Hang a few and I will get back to you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
Firefox with Addblocker is fine here. Nice link. We have the same issues. I blow into the scroll area and shake it.

Reaction score
I pulled everything Firefox and downloaded a new one. I can access the page now, so I'd better edit my first post. That'll learn me.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, tried it on 3 other Macs in FF, Opera and Camino. Worked great.

Glad you fixed whatever was the issue!

Reaction score
I checked that page with the new Firefox immediately after setting up the preferences, and before doing anything else to it. Half the page disappeared again.

Turns out it was the type size. I had set the minimum to 18. As soon as I lowered it to 13, the missing half of the page appeared. That's why the Terminal safe start made no difference and why SeaMonkey couldn't read the page. Live and learn. (But all the browsers that could read the page have the same minimum type size. Not having Gecko engines and a slightly different screen resolution in 9's Mozilla make the difference, I guess.)

I put the old Firefox back, along with the Profile folder and the plist. Reloading 20 extensions, going through the user.js file line by line and changing a bunch of AppleScript pathways because of the new randomly generated name given to the slush-pile folder aren't much fun.

If nothing else, the Mighty Mouse taught me something new.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.