Removing APE and/or Steermouse?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Okay, somethings gone horribly wrong. I've uninstalled Logitech Control Center from my MacBook following numerous kernel panics, and installed the latest version of Steermouse. Between the two of them, and possibly linked to the 10.4.10 update installed the other day, the Mac now becomes unresponsive soon after starting up. The mouse pointer still moves, and the keyboard stops the screen power saver, but OSX just hangs. One time a black spinny "working" thing appeared where the volume notification symbol appears, but it just sat there - all I can do it power it off.

I have a feeling that the dreaed Application Enhancer - which Logitech uses - may be still there, either that or Steermouse is causing it. So, I've started it in Single User mode and I'm looking at a command prompt. Does anyone have any idea how to get rid of, or disable, Application Enhancer, and/or SteerMouse from the prompt? Or.... anything? :Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I don't know how, but why not boot the Mac with the problem in target Firewire mode wit your other Mac and simply remove what you want from the hard drive that way? You can also run disc utility and have Onyx run the Cron scripts too.

To boot to Target FW mode, connect the two Macs via a FW cable, then boot the one that needs help while holding down the "T" key. You'll get the FW symbol on that ones screen and the other will mount the HDD on it's desktop and you can go from there.

OP
knightlie
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Because I don't have a Firewire cable. ;)

I found Application Enhancer and deleted it, now it boots up fine. The only problem is, the hard drive is reporting a SMART failure to Disk Utility. Great. This isn't how I envisaged spending Saturday night...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Because I don't have a Firewire cable. ;)

For want of a nail.....

At least you got it sorted out. Sucks about the Hard Drive though.

OP
knightlie
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For want of a nail.....

At least you got it sorted out. Sucks about the Hard Drive though.

Yeah. I'm suspicious that it appeared the same time as APE blew everything up, but after taking it out and reseating it and booting off the install disc, everything reports failure. I'd better get a new drive just in case. And a FW cable!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.