newbie queston: repair permissions for 10.4.10 update?

Reaction score
Hi all, new to Macs and I wanted to download the new 10.4.10 update. I was reading that people are recommending to "repair permisions" before and after download.

questions:
1) what does "repair permissions" mean?

2) I went to the disk utilities app as directed and I saw on the left pane "149.1 GB ST... and right under that indented was "Macintosh HD". I am guessing the first line is describing my actual physical HD? Which one do I need to perfom this "repair permissions" to?

Thanks all for your time. Looking forward to learning more from you guys, so thanks in advance for putting up with my questions!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 2.0GHz CD | 2GB RAM | 80GB HDD | SuperDrive | iPod 3G 20GB
Hi all, new to Macs and I wanted to download the new 10.4.10 update. I was reading that people are recommending to "repair permisions" before and after download.

I also read about doing this and guess what, I did this when it came to installing 10.4.10, and I still have the problems others are reporting. My suggestion to you is if your Mac is working fine now, I would not risk running the 10.4.10 update! Wait until Apple release a fix and people start to report the problems are gone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.