Error With Disk - Bootcamp/Volume Header

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook White, 2.0ghz, 1GB RAM
Hey guys,

My first post here on the forums. Hope to be active here. :D
This is a one of a kind Mac forum.

I've had my MacBook since January, which was my first switch to Mac and I love it.

OK, onto the problem. I've tried downloading Bootcamp, burnt drivers to disk, and then I try to partition my HD - it jams and then comes up with "Error, Verification Failed. Repair in Disk Utility".

Nothing is wrong with the disk, works fine as usual.. so I go into Repair, and it finds an error "Volume Header Incorrect - Please Repair", yet the Repair button is whited out, and I cannot click it to repair.

I've tried partitioning 5GB, 10GB, and then 15GB, but none make the difference. Is there anything I can do?

Cheers,
Michael

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD
You have to put the osx CD in the disc drive and reboot to CD. This will enable you to fix the volume header. It won't fix it while the operating system is running.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Rev 3
Same problem here.

I've had the same problem here, due to a "minor problem" with the volume header (on a MacBook Pro).

Booting off the OS X install CD will let you repair the problem (you can't repair the active boot volume), but here's where it gets interesting. Disk Utility claims success in repairing the volume header, but after restarting, the Boot Camp Assistant still complains of a disk error. Another reboot from the install CD finds the same error and (seemingly) fixes it again, but the Boot Camp Assistant still complains of a disk problem.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd greatly appreciate some help.

Reaction score
Another reboot from the install CD finds the same error and (seemingly) fixes it again, but the Boot Camp Assistant still complains of a disk problem.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd greatly appreciate some help.
This probably is a case where a heavy-hitter disk utility is needed, DiskWarrior, Tech Tool Pro or whatever else is out there. You could try a single-user startup and run an fsck -fy, but that's the same as running Disk Utility. Still, you never know.

Failing that and with no repair app other than Disk Utility, the only option left might be an archive and install that isolates the old system and your user's library in a folder and writes new ones.

This would save all your apps and documents, but you'd have to go through the system-software updates again and set the computer up the way it was.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
You have to put the osx CD in the disc drive and reboot to CD. This will enable you to fix the volume header. It won't fix it while the operating system is running.

I had that problem with the errors and did what he said. It installed fine after I fixed the volume using the disc.
Bryan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.