front row problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,white 2.16ghz C2D/2GB RAM/120GB, iPOD 60GB
i'm freaking out =(

i've never had any problems with my frontrow until today

when i browse through the .avi files in the movies folder, frontrow just shuts down and it goes back to my desktop.

help, freaking out, my macbook's barely 1 month old...

Reaction score
You don't by any chance have the 3vix codec installed have you?

It seems to be a common problem that front row crashes with this for some reason?

If not, then have you installed anything new recently?

Reaction score
Uninstall whatever Divx support you're using. Try Perian instead http://perian.org/
Sometimes frontrow does crash, although shouldn't be that often. However, at least it will only return to the desktop. I have a winMCE machine, if Media Center crashes, it gives me blue screen... :D

OP
qwinkan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Uninstall whatever Divx support you're using. Try Perian instead http://perian.org/
Sometimes frontrow does crash, although shouldn't be that often. However, at least it will only return to the desktop. I have a winMCE machine, if Media Center crashes, it gives me blue screen... :D

i did that, i had perian only at one time. but it wasn't able to play some anime avi files i've downloaded (^___^), it played sound but no video.

that's what happens to me, it returns to the desktop, every single time i browse over an avi file, this avi file is a short home video my parents emailed me. I've deleted it now =( so far no crashing back the desktop yet. by the way i was able to play that avi with no problems when i double click it through finder.

i'm still deciding if I want to re-install OS like what the "Big Problems" Thread has suggested. According to the guy, that fixed everything. But does that mean I'll have to re-install if it does happen again? and everytime after that? kinda inconvinient and I would really like my mac to "just work" =)

OP
qwinkan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You don't by any chance have the 3vix codec installed have you?

It seems to be a common problem that front row crashes with this for some reason?

If not, then have you installed anything new recently?

no, i haven't come across the 3vix codec.

well, i have a few sharewares i'm trying like yummysoup and circus ponies notebook... I don't exactly remember when it started to happen, i don't often play movies with front row so i can't say it happened at this certain time right after i installed this or that.

these were the stuff in my library\quicktime at the time i noticed front row crashing back to desktop:

AC3MovieImport.component
AviImporter-r7 (Intel).component
DivX 6 Decoder.component
Divx Decoder.component
Divx Encoder.component
Perian.component
XviD_Codex-t58 (Intel).component

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
First give it a shutdown and reboot...like comletely shut it down...then reboot. Un-install perian, re-install perian, and make sure to track any new codecs you put in, and how the affect your operations.

I have had the same issue with certain avi files. Most work fine, but once in a while a person uses some different process to encode, or odd encoder settings, and frontrow doesn't like it.

You might try VLC and MPlayer for avi files. Almost all of them have worked in these, and they are free.

Brian

OP
qwinkan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks bmcgonag,

i'm gonna reinstall OS this weekend and start over, then i'll install perian first and see how it goes from there

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.