Mouse functionality on a Mac

Reaction score
Ok...I know that Apple has made a "mighty mouse" that can function somewhat like a PC mouse. Here are a couple of quick queries:

1. Does the Apple version have any extra buttons on the side like the MS versions do? Or is it just the left/right click and scroll....um....button?

2. Are there different versions of the mighty mouse, or just one version?

While we're at it...is white the only colour that iMacs come in? Are there any black models out there? Any plans for different colour schemes? I wouldn't mind a brushed aluminum look, or a black one. The white one sort of irritates me. Not a big fan of white.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, 2.0Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB Ram
iMac = White only ATM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM
Also be sure to note, The Tsar, that pretty much any USB mouse will work with a Mac, so if the Mighty Mouse doesn't strike your fancy, you can use one that you like.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
There are two side buttons, as well as the main ones, but both side buttons have to do the same thing.

Although there are no official black iMacs, there is a company called ColorWare PC who do black ones. They are legit because i've seen a video on YouTube of a guy who got a BlackBook Pro.

Also, you can get a Mac from Apple, then send it off to ColorWare PC and they'll color it for you. It costs quite a bit though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
My issues with the MightyMouse are twofold:

1) The scroll wheel gets dirty and there is no way to take it apart and clean it. The damp cloth method works ok at best, but it's not a good solution for the long term. That has the phrase "design flaw" written all over it.

2) Lack of customization of those 2 extra side buttons. They only give you a limited choice in what you can do, none of which are what I want it to do.

My solution? Don't use an Apple mouse. In fact, my current mouse is an MS trackball mouse with 5 completely customizable buttons.

Reaction score
I agree.....there are certainly things that Apple does better....but 'mousing' isn't one of them. My MBP proudly displays it's usb MS mouse!

;)

Reaction score

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Here is the Mighty Mouse Panel with 3 views showing what you can assign to the side buttons and ball. I have 3 MM's in the house. I also use mostly Logitech mice and love them.

Picture 1.jpg

Picture 2.jpg

Picture 3.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.