Newbie question on best internet browser

B

Big Dog Dad

:) I am switching to Apple soon! I spend 8-9 hours a day as a sys. admin. for an Oracle-XP front end system and I don't want to come home and deal with Gates produced garbage any more. I'm not sure if I'm going to a laptop or a G4 or G5 system but I will have a lot of questions for this forum. My first is what is the recommended internet browser for Apple? Again, IE is out of the question. Maybe it's a personal vendetta against Gates, and I realize I'm not going to affect him in any way except for my own personal gratification.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.6 ghz G5, Dual Monitors / 17" PowerBook 1.33 / 12" iBook
Safari comes with the Mac and is the best, better than IE or NS.

Jerry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Safari is my personal preference
-Built in Pop-up Blocker
-Integrated with OS X/Rendevous/Address Book
-Tabbed Browsing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
trpnmonkey41 said:
Safari is my personal preference
-Built in Pop-up Blocker
-Integrated with OS X/Rendevous/Address Book
-Tabbed Browsing
This says it all, and your view on M$, well is right, they have brought that light on themselves IMO

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
No IE. IE is discontinued anyway. IE renderes some sites like crap too.
Definetly Safari. (I like the intergration)

OP
S

sirlan

I like Safari but it has Java issues. I use Firefox as a backup when Safari acts up with Java.

Reaction score
My favorite browser is Mozilla, especially with the added preferences bar.

With the preferences bar, instead of going into the program's preferences the user with one cllck can turn a website's colors on and off (Ars Technica drives me crazy), cookies, images, the disk cache, it's history, referral pages and a bunch of others, including Flash, although I use AppleScripts to turn Shockwave/Flash on and off. The bar also allows the user to spoof browser identites, including the Great Satan's running on Mac or Windblows.

But the main reason I use Mozilla is because of it's ad-blocking ability. As well as popups, it will block forever any ad you want it to (Firefox, which is another branch of Mozilla, does this, too, but I also use Mozilla's email program because running both means running only the one app), and Mozilla's spam filters and ability to redirect mail work well -- and Mozilla has more preferences controls.

I visit the same 20 to 25 websites two or three times a day, and each is ad-free, as is any new site I decree should be, which is all of them.

Occasionaly I have to boot into OS 9, and because Mozilla's preferences files in Systems 9 and 10 are identical, it's simple to keep my bookmarks (about 400) and email files current with each other by using aliases and file-dragging AppleScripts.

I've tried 'em all, but in my opinion, Mozilla is the best at uncomplicating life.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
I agree with Brown.

I use Safari, but have found Mozilla to be much more comprehensive and powerful than Safari.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I think you will find that everyone has their favorite. Just try a few to find which one you like. I think to depends upon what type of sites you surf too, if you have any browser problems.

OP
J

Joeytpg

what's wrong with Internet Explorer as a Mac Browser? it works great with PC's

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
Ie has quite an abundance of....hmm..lets say "issues"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Joeytpg said:
what's wrong with Internet Explorer as a Mac Browser? it works great with PC's

So do viruses - but we're using Mac's. ;)

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
wickedbusa said:
It's a M$ program, that's what's wrong :p
...no.
Whats wrong with IE is that its not optimized for OS X. And the Gecko, as well as IE's engine both suck.
SAFARI FANBOI IS I!

OP
P

psychotoe

I found Safari to be the best browser out right now, I am not only saying that cause I am a Mac user but simply cause it's true. I have tried many browsers out there and I found Safari to be the fastest with some of the best settings you can customize.

Big Dog Dad said:
:) I am switching to Apple soon! I spend 8-9 hours a day as a sys. admin. for an Oracle-XP front end system and I don't want to come home and deal with Gates produced garbage any more. I'm not sure if I'm going to a laptop or a G4 or G5 system but I will have a lot of questions for this forum. My first is what is the recommended internet browser for Apple? Again, IE is out of the question. Maybe it's a personal vendetta against Gates, and I realize I'm not going to affect him in any way except for my own personal gratification.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I find Safari is the one I like best, and I'm not trying to be a fan boi, just what I think

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
One thing you might get out of this discussion is...there are lots of good browsers. If you don't like one, download another and try that out. Between Safari, Camino, Firefox, Mozilla, and (shudder) IE, you're bound to find something. (Even Opera and Netscape are much better than they used to be.)

Safari is the default, so it's as good a place to start as any. If you have issues, try another.

[Edit: Incidentally, I use Safari most often, but keep the latest Mozilla around just in case.]

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.