What does file vault actually do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook (refurb), 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo, 2 GB Memory, 60GB HDD
I've been reading about FileVault from various resources, forums and websites, but (silly me) still don't comprehend what actually happens AFTER you've enabled it.

Do you have to enter a password before you enter your Home directory or something similiar to that?

Reaction score
I've been reading about FileVault from various resources, forums and websites, but (silly me) still don't comprehend what actually happens AFTER you've enabled it.

Do you have to enter a password before you enter your Home directory or something similiar to that?

All that I know is that it's something that you shouldn't play with. I went down a similiar path to you once and as a result of research decided I would leave it well alone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Basically it takes your entire home folder and puts it in an encrypted DMG file. So your files and folders aren't only password protected, they're encrypted as well.

So without your password, no one will be able to access your data.

But unless you're carrying around social security data for millions of people, or nuclear secrets - you probably don't need it and it has a fair impact on performance and can cause some issues.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook (refurb), 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo, 2 GB Memory, 60GB HDD
Warnings heeded. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.