Severe problem...

Reaction score
I'm nearly positive this is a hard drive issue...

Out of nowhere, the area where my hard-drive is there is a weird screeching sound...then the average sound of a hard drive being accessed, amplified and not quite healthy sounding...

following that, my macbook freezes. then crashes...upon reboot. Once it tries to load mac os, it stays at the loading screen (the white background, grey apple, and the rotating gray lines) the HDD makes the same audible noises and never get's anywhere...I let it run for about 40 minutes before agreeing that it's a lost cause...i tried booting the disk utility from the install disc, it works fine until i start the utility; then it stays frozen on detecting hard drives...

I have no clue what could have caused this, I've only had the macbook for about 3 months...Please help if you can.

I know i'm pretty much stuck with either going to an apple store, or sending it in...i just would rather not have to do either...

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i've got three things to say.

hope you had everything important backed up.

you will need a new HD.

try not to be sour at apple (;P) it could have been any drive in any computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
eric... u forget the fourth thing.

Welcome to the Forums ;D

Where are ur manners eric? ;P

OP
B
Reaction score
well, thanks for the help...I figured I would have to get it replaced...but, there is still the small hope there will be light at the end of the tunnel...

I'm also pretty sure everything on the drive is unrecoverable...through sheer stupidity i forgot to make a backup....

Thanks again for the advice :)

I would never dream of being sour at apple...they're the best! and this is the first time i've ever had any problems

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
eric... u forget the fourth thing.

Welcome to the Forums ;D

Where are ur manners eric? ;P

yeah... missed that. ;)

welcome aboard. if nothing else, the issue has caused you to stumble upon one of the best online communities on the net. :)

OP
B
Reaction score
yeah, good point...i just wish i didn't have to deal with the issue in the first place...Thanks again though

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.