Driver updates by Apple or Manufactuerer?

Reaction score
Hi, is it better to let apple update all your drivers through the MAC OS X update, or should I just go hunt for the drivers for my mac book pro by myself?

I'm asking this because in windows, the generic drivers that Microsoft supplies aren't as good as the ones from the manufacturers of the hardware themselves, which is why in windows I hunt for them myself.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
The only drivers for Mac are the ones Apple give you. There aren't any other ones.

Also, I don't think you need to get drivers on a Mac. I've never had to get any. They just give you some pre installed and they just work forever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Not true.

There are some cases, mostly printers and 3rd party PCI cards that you may need to download OSX drivers for. An example is a PCI-e SATA-II Card I recently purchased. My Mac did not recognize it until I went to the manufacturers site and grabbed the OSX driver. Then it worked fine. Another example was my HP All In One Printer.

The answer is both. Update OSX as updates are available, but grab drivers if you need them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Not true.

There are some cases, mostly printers and 3rd party PCI cards that you may need to download OSX drivers for. An example is a PCI-e SATA-II Card I recently purchased. My Mac did not recognize it until I went to the manufacturers site and grabbed the OSX driver. Then it worked fine. Another example was my HP All In One Printer.

The answer is both. Update OSX as updates are available, but grab drivers if you need them.

Agreed. In general, there's no decision to be made, though. For Apple-supplied hardware, you use the Apple driver; for third-party hardware, you use the third-party driver.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
Same with my scanner......wouldn't work without going to Canon for a driver

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.