• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

How hard is Final Cut Pro?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
I've been using iMovie since I got my Mac, but I began to realise that it just won't cut it for what I do.

Is Final Cut Studio easy to learn? What about Final Cut Express?

I don't know which one to get. Final Cut Express is probably the same level as what I'm used to. But Studio is what I want...but it costs ALOT.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
FCP costs a lot because it does a lot. It is also not so easy to understand and navigate, if you are unfamiliar with professional video editing. That is why it is designed for the professional in mind. ;)

I would suggest that you get the Express version, as it offers much more than iMovie and isn't anywhere near as complicated or complex as FCP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
and then after you learn fce you can move up after you mastered that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 5K iMac 4ghz 32gb 4gb Graphics - Late 2011 17" MacBook Pro 2.4ghz quad i7 16gb ram
Or just go on ebay and get fcp 5.1 for a very low price. I got mine for under $400(it was the non-upgradable verson but it still studio). I don't think express is really any easyer then studio because its basically the same thing with out some special stuff and extra programs to make your video better. I had express and now I have pro 5.1.I think that studio is really just a upgrade from express. Once you know express and get pro theirs nutting else really needed to learn exceped the other programs wich you won't need to use much since you can still burn from idvd. So if you have $350 to spend on a final cut I would recomend just geting 5.1. But i'm sure a new express will come out for fcp6.

Reaction score
If you can afford Pro get pro, if you can't get express. Either one is going to be confusing to you because they are both on the same level. Express just has a few pro features removed that you won't notice.
Make sure you get a tutorial book and spend a weekend reading it/learning the program. I recommend something from peachpit but there are many good books on the programs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4 GHz C2D 160 GB HDD 2 GB RAM
Has anyone had experience switching from Adobe Premiere to Final Cut? I'm about to undergo this myself and I'm wondering if the transition was any less difficult because of experience with Premiere.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13" 2.5 Ghz, 8 Gb Ram / iMac 27" 16 Gb Ram / MBP 2.16 Ghz, 2 Gb Ram, iPhone 5, iPad Min
I've been using iMovie since I got my Mac, but I began to realise that it just won't cut it for what I do.

Hi, I think you would be better off explaining what is it that you do in order to get a better answer. It all depends on what you need.

Cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 5K iMac 4ghz 32gb 4gb Graphics - Late 2011 17" MacBook Pro 2.4ghz quad i7 16gb ram
Has anyone had experience switching from Adobe Premiere to Final Cut? I'm about to undergo this myself and I'm wondering if the transition was any less difficult because of experience with Premiere.
I haven't used Premiere before but they both look very much the same, I think if you know premiere good then it shouldn't be hard to change. Take a look at final cut at the apple store and play around with some of the stuff to see if you can handel it. If your a good editor they then it shouldn't take look for you to master it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4 GHz C2D 160 GB HDD 2 GB RAM
Thanks for the response CAMERA MAN. I consider myself pretty proficient in Adobe Premiere so I suspect it shouldn't be that hard to learn Final Cut. I'll be making a trip to the Apple store soon just to check things out.

Reaction score
killedbyinterne, if you've been using Premiere Pro, then migrating to FCP should be fairly painless. When Adobe updated Premiere 6.5 to Pro 1.0, they redesigned the interface to be more Final Cut (which has always, suspiciously, looked and worked like the Avid video products). Things will in in different places, obviously, but the two work pretty much the same. Everything seems to be converging into, almost, an industry standard for video editing.

As to the original poster, what is it you are trying to do? Final Cut Studio is a large, expensive package and unless you are setting out to make really professional looking pieces, may well be overkill for you. Will you need Motion or Soundtrack Pro? Will you be authoring DVD's from scratch in DVD Studio Pro? If not, then go with Express, no use paying for programs you won't use. But, if you truly see a need for sound editing in Soundtrack Pro or author in DVD Stusio, then I would definitely consider Studio.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.