G3 iMac- Mouse Cursor Not Moving (URGENT!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz/4GB/250GB, G4 Cube 450MHz + 17" Studio LCD
URGENT G3 iMac- Mouse Cursor Not Moving

Hi,

I have an urgent issue that needs sorting ASAP.

My sister has been using my old G3 400MHz iMac DV for 9 months with no issues, but this morning she found the mouse cursor was not moving.

It is a black Apple Pro optical mouse, and when connected through the USB port (either on the black Pro keyboard or directly to iMac), the red light comes on, but the cursor does not move. When the mouse is moved, the red light becomes brighter for a few seconds as usual indicating that it is working, but the iMac doesn't seem to detect the movements. I tried my Mighty Mouse on the iMac, but that does not move either. The keyboard works fine though

The mice both work perfectly on my PowerBook.

I used the keyboard control (in Universal Access) to use number pad to control the mouse, and it is detected in System Profiler correctly (Apple Optical USB Mouse).

I tried opening up the iMac and replacing the CMOS battery, but no success.

Does anybody know what could be the problem?
Any ideas on how to fix it?

Everything else seems to be working fine, but my sister needs the computer urgently for school work.

Thanks.

OP
wicker_man
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Rather strangely it started working this morning.

I started it up to back up my sister's work to try a format + install, and the mouse seemed to work fine.

I have no idea what the problem was, but it's all fine now!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1st mac: iMac G4 1 GB RAM 80 GB HD. 2nd mac: iMac G3 (OS X Tiger) 20 GB HD 128 MB RAM
Restart and try again. That usually helps. Unless you have already done that. In that case, this is really crappy advice.

OP
wicker_man
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It all seems to be working fine, the mouse suddenly started working again.

My dad said he will check his savings to see if we can get my sister a newer Mac (maybe a G4 1GHz+ iMac/eMac for around £200 or so, which should be fine for her simple uses) in the next couple of months.

Reaction score
It all seems to be working fine, the mouse suddenly started working again.

My dad said he will check his savings to see if we can get my sister a newer Mac (maybe a G4 1GHz+ iMac/eMac for around £200 or so, which should be fine for her simple uses) in the next couple of months.

I feel like I should be adopting your sister.
She sounds neglected :|

OP
wicker_man
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe you can send me some money then to help :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G3 "Snow" 600mhz G3 Processer, 256mb of RAM, 40gb hard drive, and Mac OS X Jaguar (10.2.8)
the pro mice are notorious for getting kinks and broken wires where the cord enters the mouse. i would get a generic usb mouse( wireless and optical is best) i have a nice $30 logitech one

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.