OS X vs OS 9

Reaction score
Its all about money...its cheeper to make an intel box than a ppc box.

Gav

Reaction score
OS9 is visually horrible, it was a decent OS under the hood, but the gui wasn't nearly as appetizing as Windows '98, or 2000 which was in the Pipeline, or for that matter, XP which was only 2 years away.

Seriously is there really that much difference between OS 1
Apple_Macintosh_Desktop.png

And OS 9?

Mac_OS_9_screenshot_2.png

Reaction score
OS9 is visually horrible. . . . Seriously is there really that much difference between OS 1 And OS 9?
That's by design, not by accident or because of any software limitation. Why do you think 9 is horrible?

Even OS X is recognizably similar to System 1, let alone 9.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That's by design, not by accident or because of any software limitation. Why do you think 9 is horrible?

Even OS X is recognizably similar to System 1, let alone 9.

Agreed!

I loved OS9 and before, but it was getting way behind the rest of the world. Memory management and Multitasking which bugged me to no end. It was time for a new OS and I feel Apple did the right thing putting NetxStep, BSD and the Mach kernel together to make OSX.

I still do have many good memories of older Mac OS from say 6.0.1 and up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
OS X's disadvantages are not in its technical features, but in the user interface niceties that were lost. For example
- Network servers that don't beachball when the network goes down
- Finder windows that don't zoom properly (Four icons in a folder, and I can't see it without the scrollbars?)
- The Put Away command
- What part of "No windows under the dock?!" don't you understand?

But these are easy to solve...if only Apple ever decides to.

I still miss the old Apple Menu though. There are ways to get it back in OSX and I did for a bit. I realized at some point that it was sort of redundant with the dock though and simply broke myself of it by force. I still re-enable it on occasion just for nostalgia sake.

Gav said:
OS9 is visually horrible, it was a decent OS under the hood, but the gui wasn't nearly as appetizing as Windows '98, or 2000 which was in the Pipeline, or for that matter, XP which was only 2 years away.

That entire statement is wholly subjective and I completely disagree with you there. OS9, IMHO, was a much nicer looking OS graphically than 95/98/Me or NT ever were. XP is nicer looking, but OS9 was never intended to compete with XP.

OP
knightjp
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (27 inch, Late 2012), Processor: Core i5, Memory: 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 running MacOS Catalina
I still don't understand why anyone would think that OS 9 was horrible. I had only a brief encounter with Os 9 as I got acquainted with Macs only recently... this was after OS X Jaguar was already released and Panther was in the pipeline. For what I can say I felt it more advanced than XP. Didn't look as good as XP, but it performed better, I feel. But I guess you guys would have more experience with the OS than me.

As far as I can say, when I bought my mac, I felt that OS 9 was doing half my work for me. It felt kinda like an intuitive piece of software.
Ofcourse in the end when Panther came out, I upgraded because of the lack of easy software support for OS 9.
OS X Jag did not give me that feeling. Infact I felt that after the transition to OS X, Apple had lost the ability to give its users that OS intuition. But after Panther was released, I feel that they brought it back. And with all the new features in Tiger and the yet to be released Leopard, I think they would have enhanced it even more.
Panther remains one of my fav OS of all time. With it's new Unix kernel, they brought in more stability and they also gave us the intuition that Mac users always told me about and I briefly experienced with OS 9.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That entire statement is wholly subjective and I completely disagree with you there. OS9, IMHO, was a much nicer looking OS graphically than 95/98/Me or NT ever were. XP is nicer looking, but OS9 was never intended to compete with XP.

Agreed totally. I loved the way Mac OS looked and worked overall. XP is where Windows started to look nice. My opinion anyway. :D

OP
knightjp
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (27 inch, Late 2012), Processor: Core i5, Memory: 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 running MacOS Catalina
HOw did u do that????

How did you get the old mac OS menu in OS X.....
I would love that.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Infact I felt that after the transition to OS X, Apple had lost the ability to give its users that OS intuition. But after Panther was released, I feel that they brought it back. And with all the new features in Tiger and the yet to be released Leopard, I think they would have enhanced it even more.

Completely agree. I didn't switch to OSX full time until Jaguar and still didn't feel that the system came into it's own until Panther. Cheetah and Puma were just too buggy and inconsistent to be truly usable.

How did you get the old mac OS menu in OS X.....
I would love that.....

FruitMenu by Unsanity. Does more than just the Apple menu too.

OP
knightjp
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Completely agree. I didn't switch to OSX full time until Jaguar and still didn't feel that the system came into it's own until Panther. Cheetah and Puma were just too buggy and inconsistent to be truly usable.

Cheetah and Puma???

Which OS X was that??? I know that 10.2 was Jag.... and 10.3 was Panther.... 10.4 was Tiger and 10.5 was Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
knightjp
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Is this like StyleXP for Windows... .I found that piece of software quite buggy.

My one big concern is does it take up alot of system resources????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not sure what StyleXP even is, but FruitMenu doesn't take up much in the line of resources. Download it and try it. If you don't like it you can always turn it off and run the uninstaller that comes with it.

OP
knightjp
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks man....
will do....

Reaction score
I didn't know about FruitMenu when I bought Classic Menu years ago, so I have none of FruitMenu's extras. This link is to a post with a pic of its setup on my machine. I hope it'll still work with Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried out Classic Menu as well. What sold me on FruitMenu was all the extras though. I'm using FruitMenu right now, I just don't have the Apple Menu enabled.

Reaction score
I also have a psuedo Mac OS app switcher — ASM — in the top-right corner. Except for the dividing line, it probably isn't visible in that pic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I also have a psuedo Mac OS app switcher — ASM — in the top-right corner. Except for the dividing line, it probably isn't visible in that pic.

HA! Same here.....

OP
knightjp
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well.... looks like there is alot about MAc that I don't know about. I'm trying to learn Applescript. I bought a good book that shows me alot of stuff by example.
Should be easy to learn.....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.