MacBook Crashes when I connect external/disconnect LCD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro 15", 2.2ghz, 2GB RAM,120GB (Santa Rosa)
Hello,
Just treated myself to a new MacBook Pro 15" 2.2. It's great, been using Windows for last few years cause of work but got so sick of them i got a mac.
Anyway, often enough when I connect an external 32" lcd (its a TV really) the mac screen will go black as if to change resolution as it should do, but it doesn't come back - screen stays blank and nothing happens on the external LCD. Tried pressing F7 to toggle displays and closing the lid and re-opening but still nothing, I have to hold the power button to restart.
Also, when I'd disconnect the LCD it can sometimes crash - especially when in FrontRow but not always. Any thoughts? I've done a few searches but can't find a related discussion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15.4", Core Duo 2.16ghz, 2gig of RAM
Did you connect the display after booting up or before hand? Typically it's best to connect another display before you boot up the computer.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After - I'm not one to turn things off before I connnect things! Impatience perhaps. Still though, shouldn't be a problem.
The MacBook seems to be pretty limited as regards display options - I've gone through this whole 'external display with the lid closed' phase and not too impressed! And yes, I've discovered 'InsomniaX', very handy app but shouldn't be necessary. Kind of annoying too if lets say, you were downloading a large file and wanted to just leave it work away and close the lid to save battery etc... I close the lid without thinking sometimes and... downlaod goes down the crapper!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
how are you not impressed? the macs i have work very well with external displays

i understand your troubles, but have you ever considered its the TV?

do this. try connecting the TV with the mac off. connect y our usb keyboard/mouse.

Now turn the mac on, and shut the LCD.

that should work fine.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
kgeier82,
I'm not impressed with the lack of options I have when I close the lid. I'd like it to stay on and have the option of using only the external display which is available on the most basic of PC laptops. I'd also like to have the option to choose what happens when I press the power button, eg, sleep, shut down etc instead of a menu/dialogue box...
Yes, it just may be the LCD/TV - but it's only ever happened on the Mac, never any other machines I've connected to the LCD. I shall endeavor in the next day or so to either shut down the Mac or put it to sleep before I connect the LCD and I hope it works because I plan to use this LCD quite a bit to watch TV shows I download from the good ole US of A that won't be here till next year! (God **** I love Rescue Me, best show ever!)
Also, I don't intend connecting a usb keyboard, mouse & power cable everytime I want to watch Tommy Gavin, Tony Soprano or Bill Adama on my 32" LCD without having to leave the frakin' lid open OR leave it open and dim the screen right down to almost nothing. Thats why I'm not impressed.
Am I asking a lot?!
Otherwise, very impressive machine. Runs Windows really well and start-up time is amazing!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
you cant close the lid on a mac without a usb keyboard plugged in and expect it to stay on...

it just wont, thats not how they work.

im much more impressed with what a mac does EXTernal display wise than any Laptop PC ive owned

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In what way? It does look great on a large screen, OS X interface really warrants itself to it. I'm not trying to be awkward but I really don't think it would kill Apple to just give users the option of it! Safe to say tho, I'll never willingly go back to a PC again.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Strange - connected it to my 20.1" LCD through DVI and the pictures awful. Colour is a bit off and it's kind of blurry. Looks like it's not in native resolution but it is. (1680x1050) Any ideas?

Reaction score
Make sure you have the macbook pro plugged in to a power source, or the external display won't stay on when you close the lid.
If you want to save battery power just turn the brightness all the way off.

I don't know why you say the mac can't only use an external display. When it is clearly listed as one of the features. I use it all on time on my TV.

Just plug in your macbook to power, plug in your TV, then shut the lid and wait for the macbook to go to sleep. Once it does, wake it up. Either with a usb device like a keyboard or a mouse, or I have found the remote to be the best way. That will wake up the computer, and only the external display will work.
Easy. Read your manual before you jump to conclusions.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm sure I've tried using the remote to wake it to no avail but I'll try it again later. Like i said, that InsomniaX app works well though so no need really to close the lid, go to standby, go get a usb mouse or keyboard, plug it in, press a button etc. Its just that I'm so used to just plugging in the VGA cable and away I go.

As regards reading the manual... thats taking away half the fun of having a new gadget.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.