Transferring files messes with date created

Reaction score
Hello all-

I have a question that may be, or may not be, simple to answer.

I'm a photographer and often work on location with my laptop (Powerbook). If I save a folder with all the pictures on a Compact Flash card or thumb drive to move to my home computer, when I move it to my home computer (G4 running 10.3.9), the date created changes to December 31, 1903 @ 7:00PM.

I can use date modified, but if I ever go back and do anything with just one picture the folder is then out of order from when I shot the assignment. Date created is really the best way for me to keep in chronological order.

Any idea why the date flips during transfer? Both date & time are correct on each computer. The folder says the correct date created if I create a folder and check the info, but once I transfer it to a flash card and over to the other computer, there's the 1903 date again.

Any ideas?

OP
S
Reaction score
Reading that, it looks like I may loose valuable information. What am I going to loose, or what steps do I need to take to prevent information lose?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP C2D, 1 GB ram, 120GB HD
back up all your valuable information to a disc or external drive. that's usually the best way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.