Problems with my Imac G5 - please help!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5 2.1Ghz 512 MB ram
In the past month or so, my iMac G5 has sort of gone into a hibernation state. The screen goes black, like it is going to sleep, and the fan then begins to run at full speed(I have never heard the fan run like this before). The only thing I can do to get out of it, is to turn off the machine. I ran disk first aid tonight, and I got the following message:

Verifying volume “Macintosh HD”
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Invalid extent entry
Checking multi-linked files.
Checking multi-linked files.
",0)
Checking Extended Attributes file.
Checking volume bitmap.
Checking volume information.
The volume Macintosh HD needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
Volume needs repair

I tried everything that I could to try to either boot off of the OSX install DVD, and also the AppleCare Cd, and it won't seem to boot off of the disk. I tried holding down "C", and nothing it still boots with the hard drive. I tried holding down "Option", and it still boots with the hard drive. I tried choosing the CD/DVD as the startup disk, and it still booted up with the hard drive. I have tried the internal DVD, and an external, and I get the same results. I have repaired all of my permissions. My computer seems to be working fine otherwises. I'm not sure if the two problems noted above are even related, but either way, I have to somehow get this volume repaired. I'm hoping that somebody has some suggestions/help for me.
Thanks,
Matt
iMac G5 2.1 GHz
1.5 GB Ram
OSX 10.4.10
Norton Antivirus has been run to scan the volume

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram
Have you tried resetting the PRAM? When I first got my Rev. A iMac G5, I experienced that problem. Like you said, the only thing I could do was turn it off. However, when I tried to boot it wouldn't let me. It was just black screen and fans blowing like hairdryers.
But I tried resetting the PRAM, and that seemed to do the trick. Not sure if that'll work for you, but worth a shot.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238

Good luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.