iMac sound

M

Marcus

This is weird.

I'm on 10.2.8 and using soundsticks n iSub. I've lost the sound in my right stick. If I swap the speakers it's still the right side. All this is through itunes.

However - Windows Media Player plays sound through the right speaker when the main (system) sound controller is off (to the left). As I turn this up the sound from the right speaker rapidly decreases but the left stick's volume increases in the usual manner.

In my system preference>sound
there is no settings for the selected device (soundsticks). There is no option to adjust sound balance (which I'm sure used to be there).

I was considering doing a clean install but think this may be a little hasty.

If anyone can help you'd make me a happy chappy!

Marcus

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Well it may not be a fix, but before a reinstall, I certainly would repair permissions: close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, verify permissions, repair permissions. Click repair permissions I am not sure if this is the same in 10.2.x

OP
D

dtx3000

did you check the physical connections of the wires? try playing music through headphones the port directly on the back of your imac, and on the port on your isub if any. this should help see if it's a hardware problem or not.

OP
M

Marcus

Witeshark - thanks for that.
I've given it a go but the problem still persists.

DTX3000
I'm pretty sure it's not hardwre. I've had the iSub slotted into another port to test.

Cheers

OP
M

Marcus

Just did a software restore.
And I have SOUNDS again!!!

Interestingly, I've probably got about 8gig of disk space freed up after replacing all my backed up data.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Have you been running crons or Mac Janitor?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.