Excel attachment

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 867 Mhz 768 MB Ram
Hey at my work they use an Excel spreadsheet to make the scheduel. Since it's constantly changing our boss is the only one who has access but then puts a read only version on a shared drive for all of us to access....I keep sending the excel attachment to my home address to have it at home but on the G4 it opens and then I can't scroll down on it at all. If I click read only then it's just a still shot of wherever the file was when sent...if I click cancel then it doesn't open at all....any ideas?? :confused:

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 867 Mhz 768 MB Ram
sorry I forgot to mention that of course at my work they use windows. Also every time I try to open at home I have to Force Quite Excel.

huffstar said:
Hey at my work they use an Excel spreadsheet to make the scheduel. Since it's constantly changing our boss is the only one who has access but then puts a read only version on a shared drive for all of us to access....I keep sending the excel attachment to my home address to have it at home but on the G4 it opens and then I can't scroll down on it at all. If I click read only then it's just a still shot of wherever the file was when sent...if I click cancel then it doesn't open at all....any ideas?? :confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
It appears you may be sending a screenshot from excel rather then a workable file

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 867 Mhz 768 MB Ram
No I know it's a file cause it's .exe ending and it's an attachment and when I click on it in the email it opens....the weirdest part is that there's been a few select times when it actually works and I can scroll....

witeshark said:
It appears you may be sending a screenshot from excel rather then a workable file

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.6 ghz G5, Dual Monitors / 17" PowerBook 1.33 / 12" iBook
.exe files are not Excel files. They are Windows executables (programs).

It should be an .xls file.

Jerry

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 867 Mhz 768 MB Ram
sorry that's what I meant:):):) It's executable as in I can open it by clicking but I'm just not sure why it doesn't let me view the whole thing.

GLJones said:
.exe files are not Excel files. They are Windows executables (programs).

It should be an .xls file.

Jerry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.6 ghz G5, Dual Monitors / 17" PowerBook 1.33 / 12" iBook
Perhaps if you save it in a prior version? If it is from Office (PC) 2003 and you are using Office X for mac (not 2004) it may not be compatable.

Try converting it on the PC down to Excel 2000 and see if you can open it then.

You can try Office 2004 for OS X too. I have it and would be willing to test opening it if it's not something confidential.

Jerry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
huffstar said:
No I know it's a file cause it's .exe ending and it's an attachment and when I click on it in the email it opens....the weirdest part is that there's been a few select times when it actually works and I can scroll....
I see, exe is executable in windows only, pc in any case

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 867 Mhz 768 MB Ram
yeah it's actually Excel 97 at work. Pretty old. I have OSX jaguar not panther if that makes a difference. This could be the reason it's not working. The thing I really don't get is like I said before it actually has worked a few times...

GLJones said:
Perhaps if you save it in a prior version? If it is from Office (PC) 2003 and you are using Office X for mac (not 2004) it may not be compatable.

Try converting it on the PC down to Excel 2000 and see if you can open it then.

You can try Office 2004 for OS X too. I have it and would be willing to test opening it if it's not something confidential.

Jerry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
huffstar said:
yeah it's actually Excel 97 at work. Pretty old. I have OSX jaguar not panther if that makes a difference. This could be the reason it's not working. The thing I really don't get is like I said before it actually has worked a few times...

This doesn't help with your M$ problem, but if you have AppleWorks on your machine, you can use that to view the Excel files. I've done it a number of times, and while they don't come out looking the prettiest, it works.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 867 Mhz 768 MB Ram
Is Appleworks a software bundle??? Do you think it would work better than regular Excel in Office 2003(which is what I have)??

Padawan said:
This doesn't help with your M$ problem, but if you have AppleWorks on your machine, you can use that to view the Excel files. I've done it a number of times, and while they don't come out looking the prettiest, it works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21" 8GB, MBP 15" 2.5 Penryn, 4 GB/180 GB
huffstar said:
Is Appleworks a software bundle??? Do you think it would work better than regular Excel in Office 2003(which is what I have)??
You either have Excel v. X or Excel 2004. Excel 2003 is the latest Windows version of the software.

Windows:
Excel 97
Excel 2000
Excel 2002
Excel 2003

Mac:
Excel 98
Excel 2001
Excel v. X
Exvel 2004

Depending on what you are trying to look at, there have been significant changes in the object model from Excel 97 to Excel 2003/Excel 2004 (this is crucial if any kind of macro is involved). There can be problems with even opening Excel 97 on a machine with Excel 2002 (Windows also). It would be interesting to see whether someone with Excel 2002 could open it; technically it should, but...

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 867 Mhz 768 MB Ram
yeah I think you're right. I'm going from Excel 97 (Windows) to Excel X (mac). I'm pretty sure this is the problem. there are other people at work who have Excel 2000 and I might try converting to that and then sending home and opening on Excel X on the mac.

shades said:
You either have Excel v. X or Excel 2004. Excel 2003 is the latest Windows version of the software.

Windows:
Excel 97
Excel 2000
Excel 2002
Excel 2003

Mac:
Excel 98
Excel 2001
Excel v. X
Exvel 2004

Depending on what you are trying to look at, there have been significant changes in the object model from Excel 97 to Excel 2003/Excel 2004 (this is crucial if any kind of macro is involved). There can be problems with even opening Excel 97 on a machine with Excel 2002 (Windows also). It would be interesting to see whether someone with Excel 2002 could open it; technically it should, but...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.