PowerMac G4 RAM

Reaction score
I've finally got my G4 up and running about a week ago. I recieved some ram today that I ordered. (2 pc100 256MB sticks supposedly)
Neither of this work in my G4? The actually sticker on the RAM says pe2300, I googled this and it came back as pc100 ram. Whats going on here? Maybe I got some bad ram? The sticks are about a 1/4-1/2 inch wider then the 256 stick that is in my G4 now? Anyone know what the problem might be?
When ever I put the sticks in, my G4 just doesnt cut back on, it doesnt play the start up "tune" or anything. I stick my original 256 stick back in there and it pops right on.

Reaction score
I could be wrong but that RAM seems to be for a Dell PowerEdge 2300 PC. It is still PC100 SDRAM but there could still be incompatibilities between what your Mac needs and what you have purchased.

Whereas you haven't specified your exact model, here is what AFAIK is the recommended RAM for a Mac G4:

PC100 SDRAM, 3.3V, Unbuffered, 64-Bit, 168 Pins, 100MHz.

Now, from what I've found on the internet, a Dell Poweredge 2300 requires pretty much the same type of RAM spec wise but I haven't been able to determine if the RAM is Unbuffered but it does appear to meet the voltage and pin number, though.

I think you are going to have to send it back .... which site did you purchase it from?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (27 inch, Late 2012), Processor: Core i5, Memory: 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 running MacOS Catalina
I've finally got my G4 up and running about a week ago. I recieved some ram today that I ordered. (2 pc100 256MB sticks supposedly)
Neither of this work in my G4? The actually sticker on the RAM says pe2300, I googled this and it came back as pc100 ram. Whats going on here? Maybe I got some bad ram? The sticks are about a 1/4-1/2 inch wider then the 256 stick that is in my G4 now? Anyone know what the problem might be?
When ever I put the sticks in, my G4 just doesnt cut back on, it doesnt play the start up "tune" or anything. I stick my original 256 stick back in there and it pops right on.

I'm not really sure about what to say about this.... however you know what I did, I changed my PC100 128 x 4 with one 512 and one 128 PC133....
Works fine....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.