MacBook only works when plugged in...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook with 4GB RAM and 80GB memory + 500GB external hard drive. iPod Classic Silver
Hi all.

I've been having problems with booting up my MacBook when it is not plugged into the mains. My battery status is showing 100%, and I've left it to charge for a few hours already. But as soon as I disconnect the charger, the MacBook just switches itself off (it doesn't even go to sleep.) If I try to boot it up again, it begins to make the start up sound, then switches straight off.

The strange thing is that it runs perfectly fine when plugged in (I have posted this thread from my MacBook.)

I have to admit that i left my MacBook switched on, on a carpeted floor over night, and in the morning it was quite hot. I think i might have overheated the battery. Is this possible?

If anyone has a similar problem, or has any suggestions they would be muchly appreciated.

Thanks alot!

Zacariiem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD
Yeah sounds like your battery is fried. Give apple a call, if it's under warranty they will send you a new one.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi all.

I've been having problems with booting up my MacBook when it is not plugged into the mains. My battery status is showing 100%, and I've left it to charge for a few hours already. But as soon as I disconnect the charger, the MacBook just switches itself off (it doesn't even go to sleep.) If I try to boot it up again, it begins to make the start up sound, then switches straight off.

The strange thing is that it runs perfectly fine when plugged in (I have posted this thread from my MacBook.)

I have to admit that i left my MacBook switched on, on a carpeted floor over night, and in the morning it was quite hot. I think i might have overheated the battery. Is this possible?

If anyone has a similar problem, or has any suggestions they would be muchly appreciated.

Thanks alot!

Zacariiem

Certain MacBook models have defective batteries. The warranty was extended 2 years. Try using Apple's Battery Update software. If that doesn't correct the problem, phone tech support and request a replacement.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Another thing to try would be to take the battery out, and put it back in, just to see if it isn't seated properly.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook with 4GB RAM and 80GB memory + 500GB external hard drive. iPod Classic Silver
Thanks allot for your suggestions!

I think my MacBook is still under warenty so I'll call apple as soon as I can. I just didn't want to get a replacement battery, to find out the next day that my old one was perfectly fine!

@ StretchR:
I removed my battery and put it back in again. Sadly, it still isn't booting up :( Thanks allot for your reply anyway!

Thanks again.

Zacariem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blackbook, 2GHz Core Duo. 16Gb iPod Touch
Zac I have the EXACT same problem as you....a few weeks back i tried resetting the PRAM and it worked! But its doing it again and I think its just a defective battery, so you should call apple and have them send you a replacement but before you do you might wanna give the PRAM thing a try....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i took mine into the Apple store and Bam, new battery for free and works great!!

Reaction score
My brothers macbook had issues with only working while pluged in and he took it into the apple store they gave him a new battery and it works fine.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep. I took my MacBook to the apple store and got a new battery...works great now :D

I'm happy again :D

zacariem

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.