2gb to 3gb worth it?

Reaction score
Hi all

I have the 15" 2.16Ghz Core 2 Duo MBR - with 2Gb RAM.

I'm a photographer and work with quite large RAW and TIF files in Lightroom and Photoshop CS3.

Is it worth upgrading to 3Gb considering I will need to buy 2gb to replace one of my 1gb modules?

Is there a decent market for used 1Gb modules? I'm in the Uk.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi all

I have the 15" 2.16Ghz Core 2 Duo MBR - with 2Gb RAM.

I'm a photographer and work with quite large RAW and TIF files in Lightroom and Photoshop CS3.

Is it worth upgrading to 3Gb considering I will need to buy 2gb to replace one of my 1gb modules?

Is there a decent market for used 1Gb modules? I'm in the Uk.

It depends on how much RAM your system is actually using. Open Activity Monitor and click the System Memory tab. That will give you a synopsis of how much memory is currently available (highlighted in the color green in the pie chart). If you've got plenty of green whilst all of your programs are running and you're working as you normally do, then you don't need any more memory.

Reaction score
i also just bought the same model last week, except with 1gb of ram and I am thinking about making the same upgrade as well. the best price i found was with OWC www.macsales.com. I am not sure if the ship to the uk or not, but yo can get the 3gb kit for $160US + taxes and shipping.

Reaction score
ram

i to have to 2g ram mac. i recently just bought a new 2g ram card for it to replace one of the other 1g cards giving me 3g ram but have since been told i should run 2 different branded ram cards. is this true or false?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
**Sorry just seen the date on this thread.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
i to have to 2g ram mac. i recently just bought a new 2g ram card for it to replace one of the other 1g cards giving me 3g ram but have since been told i should run 2 different branded ram cards. is this true or false?

I "assume" you meant you've been told you should not run 2 different brands of RAM.

It is always advisable to have matched sets of RAM.

You already bought it though... I wouldn't tell you to take it back without trying it at this point... stick it in and see if it works... if it doesn't pull it or pull the 1GB card back out. It's not going to break anything (you could, but it won't), it either will work ok or it won't.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.