Piece of crap Mighty Mouse

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 Macbook Pro i5 2.3 GHZ, 4GB, 10.10.4
My mighty mouse decided to start crapping out. It still works, buttons and all. It scrolls horizontally and up, but doesn't scroll down. Anyone else have this problem? Any fix?

I hate buying a $50 mouse and then it starts breaking....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
It's probably just a bit dirty... What I do...

Hold it upside down, spin the scroll bar while blowing into it... maybe a couple taps on it.

Reaction score
Mine does that from time to time. It's a spinning ball so it's going to have all of the wonderful problems that ball mice used to have.

Yeah, as RIDE said, spin it around, blow inside, etc. Something needs to be knocked loose is all.

M

MacHeadCase

To get the oily dirt out, I use a moistened Q-Tips with rubbing alcohol on it and roll the scrollball on it and it works great after that. Our skin releases oil that we are not aware of. Plus if you eat at your computer, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
That happened to me once. I just pressed harder. That must have getten the gunk unstuck. it never happened again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro. 2.3Ghz Intel Core i7 running OSX 10.14.6, 16GB Ram
Seems both Ride & MacHeadcase saved me from this one too. Never looked back, just a blow and a tap and off you go. I think you owe your Mighty Mouse an apology! he he

Reaction score
Same problem - only up!

I think I'm on my third mighty mouse (warranty comes in handy) because of the same problem - only it doesn't scroll up.

To be honest - this is a design flaw with the mouse and it should be rectified.

I've tried tapping, blowing and rolling - none seem to work. What are Q-tips? Are they like cotton buds (U.K!).

I really don't want to send away for another one. The delivery driver is sick of coming to our house - it's quite embarrassing.

So any more tips? I do feel Apple should sort this minor issue out.

Edit: Just got it working. Go heavy on it - roll really hard with a clean damp cloth very fast - in all directions - upside down!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD
Q tip:

200px-White_menbo.jpg

OP
iBeldar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 Macbook Pro i5 2.3 GHZ, 4GB, 10.10.4
Just got it working. Go heavy on it - roll really hard with a clean damp cloth very fast - in all directions - upside down!

That worked very well. Works like new again :) .

"Sowwy Mighty Mousie"

Reaction score
I think I'm on my third mighty mouse (warranty comes in handy) because of the same problem - only it doesn't scroll up.

I've tried tapping, blowing and rolling - none seem to work. What are Q-tips? Are they like cotton buds (U.K!).

I really don't want to send away for another one. The delivery driver is sick of coming to our house - it's quite embarrassing.

So any more tips? I do feel Apple should sort this minor issue out.

Edit: Just got it working. Go heavy on it - roll really hard with a clean damp cloth very fast - in all directions - upside down!

The delivery driver is paid to deliver to your house, be it one time or ten times, he has no reason to be "sick" of coming there; "delivery driver" - the job description is self-explanatory, and you as a consumer are entitled to have as many replacements as it takes, to satisfy you, no matter what BS people try and feed you. He should be happy to get so much work!.

Take apart, and clean your (not so) Mighty Mouse:

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=2732413817292366113&q=clean+mighty+mouse&total=21&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

Reaction score
My mighty mouse decided to start crapping out. It still works, buttons and all. It scrolls horizontally and up, but doesn't scroll down. Anyone else have this problem? Any fix?

I hate buying a $50 mouse and then it starts breaking....

Can you try using a pc mouse? I used a $4.50 Genius USB mouse and it works fine with my Mac. Been using PC mouse for 2 years now, both on powepc and intel base macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
Happens pretty often to all Mighty Mouses (from my experience at least). The only reason I'm still using one is because I love the 360º scroll wheel.

My method:
Get a piece of plain paper and put it on your desk (or wherever really). Take the mouse, turn it upside down and press the ball firmly onto the paper. Now rub like crazy in all directions. You'll be surprised how much crap comes off it.

There's a few videos on youtube showing different way to clean a Mighty Mouse but this one seems to work best for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8

I'd call it an inherent vice, rather than a design flaw. It's just a miniaturised version of the old style ball that mice use to track. If it's 1/10th the size, it takes 1/10th the gunk to stop it working.

I reckon given that, and the fact it is more exposed and manipulated by potentially greasy / dirty fingers, it is bound to be a problem.

This one comes up frequently. Personally I solved the problem by getting a different mouse. The Mighty mouse is anything but, and now rests peacefully in a drawer with a bunch of one button mice that have never even been plugged in :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I'd call it an inherent vice, rather than a design flaw. It's just a miniaturised version of the old style ball that mice use to track. If it's 1/10th the size, it takes 1/10th the gunk to stop it working.

I don't think the ball itself or how it works are the design flaw, I think the lack of an easy method to remove and clean it are the design flaw. Apple went with aesthetics vice practicality in this case. Not a big surprise, but they could have gone that extra bit and had both. I ditched my MM over a year ago and have never looked back.

Reaction score
Take it from a designer; it's a design flaw, pure and simple. Why should you need to CLEAN a scrollball; noone ever needs to clean scroll WHEELS, on PC mice!. If something needs constant cleaning (maintenance) just WEEKS after it has been bought, and then needs subsequent cleaning, at very short intervals, then you'd hardly call it a winning product!.

A domed touchpad would have been a better tracking method; that would need virtually NO cleaning, and it's solid state!.

Using such an outmoded and outdated method of tracking, is sheer madness, hence all the complaints. The paper corner trick is NOTHING more than a temporary displacement of the gunk that accumulates inside the tracking unit.

I use a laser mouse (£9.99) with VERY high resolution - I gave up on the (not so) Mighty Mouse, after owning one which drove me mad. What gives, Apple - did Jonny Ive run out of Koolade the day he conceived this?.

:)

Reaction score
Take it from a designer; it's a design flaw, pure and simple. Why should you need to CLEAN a scrollball; noone ever needs to clean scroll WHEELS, on PC mice!. If something needs constant cleaning (maintenance) just WEEKS after it has been bought, and then needs subsequent cleaning, at very short intervals, then you'd hardly call it a winning product!.

A domed touchpad would have been a better tracking method; that would need virtually NO cleaning, and it's solid state!
:)

Agree totally, my experience of the wireless mighty mouse was such that (along with a faulty mini DVI dongle that failed within 3 months) it's made me wary of any Apple peripheral. I now use a Kensington optical trackball - at <£20 posted excellent value.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Agree totally, my experience of the wireless mighty mouse was such that (along with a faulty mini DVI dongle that failed within 3 months) it's made me wary of any Apple peripheral. I now use a Kensington optical trackball - at <£20 posted excellent value.

I do find it pretty amazing - arguably Apple have been doing it wrong with mice for years. They doggedly stuck with the one button monstrosity for YEARS after it became perfectly clear two buttons were better, and that's what a lot of people wanted.

So when they finally cave in and produce a two button mouse (artistically done, of course), they carry on the tradition by adding a new infuriatingly crap device on the top of it :lol:

Reaction score

Mighty Mouse has a design weakness - that's explained that. Having a DVI dongle go bad, is hardly justification for being wary of Apple accessories, however. Do you know how many of these dongles, Apple churn out?. Would you not buy a light bulb, because ONE blew, prematurely?.

It's called MTBF; Mean Time Before Failure - it means the average amount of time you can expect an item to work as expected, before it fails, and it is precisely that - an AVERAGE figure!.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mighty Mouse has a design weakness - that's explained that. Having a DVI dongle go bad, is hardly justification for being wary of Apple accessories, however. Do you know how many of these dongles, Apple churn out?. Would you not buy a light bulb, because ONE blew, prematurely?.

It's called MTBF; Mean Time Before Failure - it means the average amount of time you can expect an item to work as expected, before it fails, and it is precisely that - an AVERAGE figure!.

I'd agree. Generally speaking, Apple kit is very well made. How many Ipods are out there?

They just didn't quite get this one right, in mine and it seems a lot of other peoples opinions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.