• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Compatibility DVD disks on MAC and PC

E

expertcom

Hi,
I have a problem with recording DVD's on MAC Powerbook G4 and PC.
Recommend me please software for recording DVD on MAC Powerbook G4 for following playing
on PC and software for recording DVD on Pc for following playing on MAC Powerbook G4.
Also, recommend me please universal DVD player for MAC and PC, if he exist.
Thanks.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
expertcom said:
Hi,
I have a problem with recording DVD's on MAC Powerbook G4 and PC.
Recommend me please software for recording DVD on MAC Powerbook G4 for following playing
on PC and software for recording DVD on Pc for following playing on MAC Powerbook G4.
Also, recommend me please universal DVD player for MAC and PC, if he exist.
Thanks.

Can you be more specific as to the problem you are having, i.e what are you trying to burn them with and have you selected the correct preferences for it.

By universal I assume you mean an any-region player, have you tried VLC?

If what you are after is a DVD copying program then I have not been able to find a free one anywhere but you could try out some of the Linux ones (you will have to compile them yourself though, do you have developer tools and X11/fink installed?).

Personally I use Toast but I haven't tried copying commercial DVDs with it only ones I've created myself.

Amen-Moses

OP
E

expertcom

Simply, i got a message from DVD player on Powerbook G4 like "not permited"
now, i want to burn disks with right software. I havn't tried VLC.
Software can be free or comercial, i need this for one very good person, he is simply computer user, not a computer professional. Desirable, that software, will not be difficult in use. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
expertcom said:
Simply, i got a message from DVD player on Powerbook G4 like "not permited"
now, i want to burn disks with right software. I havn't tried VLC.
Software can be free or comercial, i need this for one very good person, he is simply computer user, not a computer professional. Desirable, that software, will not be difficult in use. Thanks.

When you got the "not permitted" message what sort of DVD were you using? Was it a commercial product or something that you have burned on a PC or Mac?

Amen-Moses

OP
E

expertcom

It was simply DVD-R media, without copyright. Itwas not a commercial product, someone has burn something on this DVD on PC, and i got a message "not permitted" on MAC.Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
expertcom said:
It was simply DVD-R media, without copyright. Itwas not a commercial product, someone has burn something on this DVD on PC, and i got a message "not permitted" on MAC.Thanks.

Strange, I've not had that happen to me. Does the DVD play in a standard DVD player?

I've had a few discs fail to play before but normally the other way around, i.e they will play on the Mac or a standard DVD player but not on a PC.

Amen-Mose

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.6 ghz G5, Dual Monitors / 17" PowerBook 1.33 / 12" iBook
Make sure the PC can burn DVD-R. Some can only burn DVD+R. I have been able to burn DVD+R on my Mac but it is not 100% as it cannot play on some DVD Players or PCs while it will work on others.

Jerry

OP
E

expertcom

Amen-Moses said:
Strange, I've not had that happen to me. Does the DVD play in a standard DVD player?

I've had a few discs fail to play before but normally the other way around, i.e they will play on the Mac or a standard DVD player but not on a PC.

Amen-Mose

but not on a PC. Exactly this "but" very interesting for me :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.